Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Bootable Backup Questions

So I have read through all of the forums and I am not sure what I am missing.

I am trying to make a backup of my MacBook 100GB hard drive.

I am using a Thecus N1050 (maybe this brand is the problem? I can't find which chipset it uses)with a 100GB drive inside.

I started with this from another posting:

OK. If you're on a USB drive, please use the GUID partition scheme (Options button in the Partition tab of Disk Utility), since you're only going to be starting up Intel-based Macs from that drive.

Then, make sure you erase the drive and use the "Mac OS Extended" format.

However, the last part doesn't seem to work right. If I follow this order, when I verify the disk (click info) it shows that it is not using the GUID partition scheme - but using Apple Partition Map.

If I erase first, then partition, select the GUID option, it shows up as GUID partition scheme and I begin.

I have tried this a couple of times following the rest.

Once that's complete, Smart Update the external using "Backup - all files". Then, select the drive in System Preferences' "Startup Disk" preference pane.

When you watch it start, see if you get a grey screen, Apple, spinning "pinwheel", etc. A blinking cursor at the upper left isn't something I'd expect to see at all.

I have to deviate slightly here, as my version is not registered and i can't do a Smart Update (I am evaluating this software to see if I indeed can make a bootable backup before I buy). So I choose the option to 'Erase MacBook Backup, then copy files from Macintosh HD'.

On successful completion: Do Nothing
Advanced - no options selected.

Then I sit for two hours or so and it completes. However, I have not been able to boot from this drive. I tried two different methods.

1. The method suggested above by selecting the disk in the System Preferences.
2. Rebooting and holding down the 'option' key and the hopefully selecting the disk manually - but it isn't available as an option.

Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong? Any additional information I can provide?

I'd love to buy this software, as all the reviews and personal recommendations have told me it is the one to go with. However, until I can get a bootable backup, I am going to keep looking for other options.

Thanks so much for your help.

Trebz