Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-02-2007, 01:40 PM

trouble with new drive

Hi.

I'm a registered user of SuperDuper and I really like it. I'm having a bit of a problem, though. I've installed two new internal SATA drives in my Mac G4 (dual 867 Mirror Drive Door, OS 10.4.8). Prior to removing my older drives I did a complete backup onto a FireWire external drive so that I would have my system entirely preserved in order to seamlessly transfer it to my new internal drive. When I try to copy my backup from my external onto my new main drive SuperDuper tells me that it will copy over the files "except the temporary and system-specific files that Apple recommends excluding." I went ahead and did it last night but found that all of my apps (primarily Creative Suite 2 - I'm a designer) had lost their links for registration.

What I thought I was doing when I made the backup copy of my old internal to my external was making an exact copy of that drive so that I could copy it back over to my new internal - and, indeed, I can boot off that external backup and everything is wonderful, but I need to have that exact backup on my new main internal drive. What am I doing wrong? I put a new OS on the new main internal - is that the problem? Should I strip that away, boot from the external, and then try to copy over my external backup to the new internal without any OS on it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
There's no need to send an email to support and post here in the Forums, Patrick.

This is because Adobe has elected to copy protect their application. You need to deactivate it on the old drive and re-activate it on the new.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM

My internal drive is acting up, and, I suspect, not going to last much longer. Soon I will be in this same boat. What is the recommended way to copy the entire contents from my (external backup) to my (new hard drive)? Is it simply a matter of dragging everything over (8 folders in my case), or is their a button that automates the process?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

The recommended way is do follow the steps for disaster recovery in the User's Guide. Definitely do not drag and drop -- that will not work.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM

Actually it was my inability to figure it out from the User Guide which brought me to the forums in the first place.

According to the chapter on "Recovering from a disaster" several scenarios are described. My issue would probably put me in the "Restoring from a bootable backup on an external FireWire drive, and your Macintosh is capable of starting up from FireWire" camp.

From there it tells me to hold down the Option key when you start, select the FireWire drive, and use SuperDuper! to perform the restore.

It's precisely the using of SuperDuper! to perform the restore that I'm asking about.

Last edited by SBlumenthal; 01-03-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Administrator

You just copy back, the same way. Use "Backup - all files"... from the backup to the other drive.