Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 AM

Spotlight Privacy tab refuses to recognize SuperDuper Smart Update -- 100% repeatable

Hello,

I'm having a problem with SuperDuper! regarding SD's "Smart Update" volumes disappearing from the Spotlight Privacy tab. I've searched the forum and have seen several references to similar situations, but the typically suggested "fix" of erasing the problematic volume with Disk Utility and then just copying again with SD doesn't work for me. It _appears_ to work at first, but always fails again when I subsequently run a "Smart Update" on the backup. Has there been a final "fix" to this problem, and can you please point me in the right direction. If this issue has been truly resolved, and I just missed it in my search of the forums, I apologize in advance for being redundant...

For what it's worth, I'll detail my situation as best I can:

I have a brand new iMac with almost nothing installed on it, except of course the usual Apple stuff. I'm using a new Maxtor OneTouch connected via FireWire 800 for my SD backups. My OS is 10.4.10 and my copy of SuperDuper is version 2.1.4 (paid & registered ).

Everything at first appeared to be going smoothly with with SD. After the initial backup I noticed that Spotlight would list duplicate items in all my search results - one for my Mac HD & one for my SD backup. So I simply added the backup volume to the Spotlight Privacy tab list, and everything was again fine - none of the files on the SD backup volume were listed in Spotlight search results. Great! But then, a few days later, I updated my SD backup via "Smart Update" and subsequently noticed that I was again getting Spotlight results from the SD backup volume! When I checked the Spotlight Privacy tab I found that the SD backup had disappeared from the list and I was NOT able to add it again with either the "+" button or drag-&-drop!

That's when I searched the ShirtPocket forums (as best I could) and read that the suggested "fix" is to simply erase the backup volume with Disk Utility and then run SD again. Okay, no problem... So I then:

Initialize with Disk Utility, restart, add the now erased volume to Spotlight Privacy (able to do it then with no problem), restarted again (just for good luck), checked the Spotlight Privacy tab & found my backup volume listed just as it should be, had SD perform an "Erase & copy..." to the backup disk (no problems, as usual), checked the Spotlight Privacy tab & found the backup drive still listed as before (also, Spotlight searches correctly did not show results from the newly copied backup drive), restarted again (just hoping for some more good luck), checked the Spotlight Privacy tab again and found my backup drive still listed as it should be, confirmed that Spotlight searches again correctly showed no results for the backup drive...

At this point, I tried everything I could think of to try to get it to _fail_ again: unmount, mount, sleep, wake up,cold boot, disconnect drive, boot from backup, restart, shutdown, delete the backup drive from the Spotlight Privacy tab and add it back again a dozen times... Everything worked fine! I could not get it to fail!

For a moment it looked like the planets were all in alignment...

And then... I simply had SuperDuper perform a "Smart Update" ...

Immediately after the "successful" smart update, the backup drive again disappeared from the Spotlight Privacy tab and could not be added to the list without a complete erase of the backup volume...

I went through this entire procedure four times this afternoon... It is 100% repeatable. Everything is fine with an freshly copied full backup. But every time I try a "Smart Update" the Spotlight Privacy tab refuses to recognize the updated backup volume.

I really hope that I don't have to chose between Spotlight and SuperDuper...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Richard