Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2020, 08:19 AM

Failing to start fro external backup

In anticipation of the new computer arriving I have started preparing the old Mac Pro for semi-retirement, however I want to keep it usable and maintain backups with SuperDuper.

I read here on the forum that it was possible to encrypt external drives in disk utility for use with SD, so I did that with APFS, then performed a smart update. This was external drive that is limited to USB 2 on the Mac Pro and I knew it would be slow, but I just wanted to know it would work in an emergency.

After selecting it as the startup drive I restarted and nothing much happened for about a minute, then it proceeded to start up with the usual drive. In the past I have been able to start via USB, so I figure this is likely related to the encryption.

Although the Mac Pro is supported on Mojave it cannot enable file vault for some reason. I did wonder if I need to run another backup to SD that saves the password for the encrypted drive. Obviously the easiest answer would be to wipe it all and just make unencrypted backups, but this seemed like a safer option if possible.

Having ordered various new drives it should be possible to free up a slot in the Mac Pro and install a SATA drive purely for SD.

Last edited by ashleykaryl; 04-26-2020 at 07:24 AM.