Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Question [request] raw folder/Tar/rar/7z support?

With all these handy-dandy new online backup services (S3, Mozy, Elephantdrive, Carbonite, Streamload/Mediamax, etc), *none* of them (vice S3 with Jungledisk) have any Mac OSX support.

You'd think the work-around would be to back up your Mac to an external drive, and then let a Windows machine upload the sparseimage....but they *all* (vice mozy) have max filesizes in the 2-4GB range. *And* if one file changes, you have to re-upload the entire sparseimage. (You can't mount the sparseimage and smartupdate it in any of the services, to include jungledisk).

So, there are a couple of ways to approach this problem:

1. Wait (pray) for OS X support/clients
2. Backup to a folder on an external (or network) drive that windows can read
3. Backup to an archive format that may not necessarily be bootable, but will allow windows to mount, read, and upload files for you.

Chronosync would be appropriate to #2, but they specifically request that users not try to use it to backup their entire volume, and refer everyone to SuperDuper!. (It would make the sync jobs in Chronosync really large and possibly unstable).

So, is there any way y'all could either let me backup to a folder or to a different archive format, with the understanding that it wouldn't be bootable without some work?

Thank you so much for giving me a way to backup my data without hassle, I just wish the rest of the world worked this way.

Last edited by adinb; 07-13-2006 at 02:08 PM.