Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 10-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to jonheal Send a message via MSN to jonheal Send a message via Yahoo to jonheal Send a message via Skype™ to jonheal
Another Case of Slow Backup

Yesterday, I successfully invoked SuperDuper for the first time. I wanted to backup a partition on one external drive to another external drive.

Source:
One of four HFS+ partitions on a 3.5" SATA drive in a FireWire enclosure
(MacAlly PHR-S100SUA)

Destination:
HFS+ partition on a 2.5" PATA drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure
(SimpleTech Signature Mini)

The source partition contained about 65GBs, including a couple of giant items like 12GB VMware Fusion file.

The copying process took about 20hrs (SuperDuper! reported about .90MB/sec throughput). Is that right?? I feel like I might have been able to mark off all those ones and zeros on the disk a little faster with a refrigerator magnet.

Another note, the first time I tried to backup, I forgot to first quit the VM in Fusion. When SuperDuper! got to that file, the entire computer promptly and completely froze, no cursor movement, no nothing. Now that is a severe and unforgiving crash.

I'm running 10.5.5 on a 1.66GHz Mini.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Sounds like your USB drive was running quite slowly, Spotlight was indexing while we were copying, or you have an AntiVirus program running.

I don't have any idea why your mac would have frozen copying the Fusion file. We have you quit so it'll be fully written to the drive (and not changed while we're copying it), not because you'll crash. In fact, a user-level process like SD! can't really crash your Mac...
Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to jonheal Send a message via MSN to jonheal Send a message via Yahoo to jonheal Send a message via Skype™ to jonheal
Slow Backup Follow-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Sounds like your USB drive was running quite slowly, Spotlight was indexing while we were copying, or you have an AntiVirus program running.

I don't have any idea why your mac would have frozen copying the Fusion file. We have you quit so it'll be fully written to the drive (and not changed while we're copying it), not because you'll crash. In fact, a user-level process like SD! can't really crash your Mac...
It looks like you're right. I just tried dragging the VM file straight to the SimpleTech drive and it started copying real slow -- told me it was going to take 11 hours, or something like that. I wonder what's going on. It's like the drive is operating at USB 1.1, or something.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonheal View Post
It looks like you're right. I just tried dragging the VM file straight to the SimpleTech drive and it started copying real slow -- told me it was going to take 11 hours, or something like that. I wonder what's going on. It's like the drive is operating at USB 1.1, or something.
Now this is odd. Is only one of the USB ports on my Mac high-speed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (72.5 KB, 800 views)
Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonheal View Post
Now this is odd. Is only one of the USB ports on my Mac high-speed?
I'm almost positive I'm using the cable that came with the drive. Are some cables USB 1.1 and others USB 2.0?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 PM

I tried another cable.

I've come to the conclusion that my SimpleTech drive is either defective or a piece of crap or both.

I know that the drive has power issues in that it falls back to 1.1 speed if it doesn't get enough juice. I have a power supply plugged into it, though.

I'm going to try moving the disk to a no-name enclosure I have laying around and see if it makes a difference.