Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 PM

Question Pre-maiden-flight questions

My G4 iMac running OS X 10.2.8 is starting to freeze up fairly often. I often tune up the hard drive with Micromat Drive 10 (which I run from the bootable Drive 10 CD). In the past, Drive 10 has often said the directory structure needed some tweaking, but this time the error msgs are a bit more ominous, and I'd really like to have a backup before I give Drive 10 the go-ahead to fix things. It strikes me as something to fix on general principles, whether it's causing the freezes or not.

I have a 40GB internal hard drive (~22GB free) and a 120GB FireWire drive w/4 x 30GB partitions, so theoretically I could have 4 sandboxes. I've used SuperDuper! a few times to do a full copy to one partition or the other on the FW drive, just to get the feel of it, but this will be the first time I've had SD turn a wheel in anger, so to speak. I'm the only user on this Mac. I've RTFM, but I still have a few questions.

So, do I do a full copy, a Safety Clone, or what? Will the directory-structure problems (if there are in fact any) on my internal HD be copied to the sandbox? Should I apply Drive 10 to the internal HD, or to the sandbox? Am I right in understanding that I can boot from the FW drive? As I said, I've been running Drive 10 from the CD, but I assume that if I installed it on both the internal HD and the sandbox, I could then run it on a drive other than the drive I booted from?

As you can imagine, I'm trying to pick my way carefully on this! Thank you.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You definitely don't want a Sandbox, Staxman: you want a full copy. Since we copy file-by-file, directory issues won't be duplicated... but it's possible that you won't be able to complete the backup, because if the drive or folder structure is damaged, you can't back up...
Old 12-13-2005, 11:19 PM

Question Pre-maiden-flight questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
You definitely don't want a Sandbox, Staxman: you want a full copy. Since we copy file-by-file, directory issues won't be duplicated... but it's possible that you won't be able to complete the backup, because if the drive or folder structure is damaged, you can't back up...
I made successful full copies just a few days ago, so that's encouraging! Does the following procedure sound reasonable? (I find myself wishing for a cross between a question mark and a colon!)

1) Make full copy.
2) Apply Drive 10 to internal HD.
3) In case of problems, full-copy back from FW drive to internal drive.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Yep, sounds about right, except I'd check the full copy before relying on it...