Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 PM

Not sure if you understood my previous post.

My OS X user account passwords are ALREADY much weaker than the FileVault passphrases I use to initially encrypt the external drives in Disk Utility that I'm subsequently backing up to (deliberately so, because I want a much higher level of protection for the backup drives that I take off-site, whereas my Mac which never leaves my home so convenience trumps security).

That's why I want to continue seeing the FileVault decryption passphrase prompt FIRST when I boot the backup, BEFORE I see any OS X user login screen.

However when the "[Update Needed]" prompt appears, it is part of an OS X user login screen - and unless I'm very much mistaken, it appears first and there is NO FileVault decryption passphrase prompt.

It's not clear from your reply whether you understood this point, and the steps you're suggesting will restore the drive to a state where booting up yields the FileVault decryption prompt FOLLOWED BY the OS X user login screen (the desired behaviour), or whether the steps you're suggesting will put the drive into a state where the backup drive works the same as the system drive, in the sense that the (deliberately weaker) OS X user passwords are all that's needed to boot up (which is not the desired behaviour).

Last edited by wildthing; 05-02-2015 at 05:14 PM.