Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-21-2006, 08:48 PM

Help! Clone missing file icons, creator info

Just cloned my HD using SuperDuper. Most of the files have lost there custom icons showing what program they were created under, and if I click on them to open I get an error message "Cannot find the application that created this file". Opening them from withing the application seems to work OK though.

Also, a lot of the applications which require a password to make them work when installed have lost them and need them reloaded.

Any idea what I did wrong? i was hoping for an exact duplicate of my old HD that I could just boot up, and start using as if it was the old one. Am I asking too much?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No, that's what it's supposed to do. Custom icons should be maintained, as should your passwords, etc.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong here, because I don't have much information... but please try booting back to the original drive. Then, rename the destination volume to the same name as the source.

Repeat the copy with Smart Update and "Backup - all files", and let's see if that works better.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 PM

Can't do a Smart Update since I haven't paid/registered yet - the whole point of the exercise was to a few copies and see how they go, to find out if SD was going to be the cure to my backup probs.

I'll try doing it over and see what happens. Oh, if it makes any difference, the disk being copied was 10.2.8, but SD was working under 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
No, that's what it's supposed to do. Custom icons should be maintained, as should your passwords, etc.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong here, because I don't have much information... but please try booting back to the original drive. Then, rename the destination volume to the same name as the source.

Repeat the copy with Smart Update and "Backup - all files", and let's see if that works better.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Administrator

10.2.8 should be OK as long as you're running in 10.3.9 or later, assuming that nothing on the 10.3.9 system is interfering with the copy (AntiVirus, etc).
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 AM

Tried it again, making sure everything I could turn off that might interfer was off, and that same thing happened. Don't have a clue what to try next.

Seems a serious problem - any more advice would be welcome.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Administrator

The first thing I'd try is to rebuild your LaunchServices database using one of the various system tools (Onyx, Cocktail, etc). That should bring back the icons.

Passwords, though -- I need more information to help with that. Can you give an example of an application that's not working? Is it copy protected/activated?