Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Growl 1.1.1 and "mailme"

I'm having trouble on one machine with Growl not seeing (or being seen by) SuperDuper. When I do a backup from the GUI, I get the mailme notification I've specified, but when the same setting is run from the SD schedular, nothing happens; Console doesn't show a Growl "notification," and no email is sent;

It all seems to work on my G5 Quad (10.4.10), but not on a new Intel iMac (10.4.10); So I want to completely uninstall Growl and SuperDuper and start over. I did the "uninstall" procedure from the 1.1.1 download, and dragged the preference file from <username>:libraryreferences to the trash and emptied the trash. Then rebooted and did the install again. Same deal with SuperDuper 2.1.4 (dragged the SD application folder to the trash, did a "find" on SD files and trashed them) (this is all on the Intel Mac: the G5 works fine).

Interestingly, Growl still seems to remember my old SuperDuper configuration in the Growl preferences. What file am I missing so I can get a clean Growl nd SD installation? (or alternatively, does anyone know why Growl notifications might work from SD run from the GUI but not from the SD scheduler?)

Eddie O

Last edited by edoates; 09-24-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Have you tried deleting and recreating your schedules? Also, try rebuilding your "Launch Services" database, Ed... (use Onyx/Cocktail/soemthing like that).
Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 PM

Yes, I've done that, and I guess I'll try the launch services repair. I'm a little nervous about rebuilding (I use the command line posted in these forums) since everything else seems to work, including the sometimes problematic Adobe CS3.

I'll report back after I've tried the rebuild.

Eddie O
Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

OK. I don't think it'll hurt Adobe at all, Ed.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 AM

I did the launchservices rebuilt and there is no change: growl gets a "registered" entry in the console log and mailme works if a backup is initiated via the GUI; no Grown entries or mailme occur at all if the backup occurs due to a scheduled item.

My next action is to remove the growl tickets from user:library:application%20supprt/growl.

If that doesn't work, are there any hidden superduper files I need to remove to deinstall superduper? My next approach is to completely remove superduper and growl, and then install them again, hopefully with a completely clean slate.

I see the growl and superduper plist files in user:libraryreferences (com.blacey.superduper!.plist and the the various other SuperDuper! saved settings growl items via Finder FIND), but my question is, are there more?

I want to wipe it clean to start again.

Ed
Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Nothing hidden, Ed, no...
Old 09-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Nothing hidden, Ed, no...
OK, I've tried all sorts of things, and the SuperDuper 2.1.4 and Growl 1.1.1 is different on three different machines, to wit:

One my old G5 Quad, MailMe works as expected with Grown 1.1.1, and SuperDuper 2.1.4 (OS X 4.10)

On one new iMac Intel 2.83 24" (10.4.10), SuperDuper Growl MailMe works on GUI invoked backups, but doesn't even get registered (as observed in Console) if SuperDuper! is run via its schedule.

On the other new iMac, SuperDuper! Growl MailMe are sent for all backups, except the "From" field is SIZE=<some number: here is the text:

Subject: Preview
Date: September 28, 2007 9:35:51 AM PDT
To: xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx

This was a 100% clean installation: wiped everything and installed from scratch.

So, where does Growl pick up the "from" field? And why might SuperDuper! not be registering correctly when started from a schedule?

My suggestion to SuperDuper!: depending on Growl for notifications is OK, if Growl was more predictable. Growl 1.1.1 changed quite a few items (the LOG option is gone, and mailme operates...wierdly).

I may be a software guy, but I don't want to be diagnosing this stuff (I've got enough work to do). So, please integrate email notifications into SuperDuper directly. That way, YOU are in control of this critical operation. Right now, I have to go to each machine to verify that the backups worked on schedule (startup SD, check the log manually). In an automated world, that should not be the case.

Or, alternatively, give me post SD options for failed and succeeded instead of just one as exists now. Then I could use scripting to send the emails, put something on the screen, etc. Growl is now just too flakey and out of your control.

Eddie O
Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions, Ed: have you reported the problem to the Growl people?

(Yes, Growl is out of our control. But so is any mechanism we'd use to really send mail, OSX itself, your drives, antivirus, applescript... lots and lots of stuff!)
Old 09-28-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, Ed: have you reported the problem to the Growl people?

(Yes, Growl is out of our control. But so is any mechanism we'd use to really send mail, OSX itself, your drives, antivirus, applescript... lots and lots of stuff!)
I sent essentially the same email to growl (sans "suggestion").

While it is true that a bunch of stuff is outside your control, growl adds yet another layer. I think if you added check boxes for "run this script on success" and "run this script on failure" that that particular feature of OS X used to start up the scripts is pretty generic and will be stable over time. And suspect scripts created by Automator (and Apple product included with OS X) will also be stable, but under control of the user.

Interestingly, prior to Growl integration and automounting disk drives, I had a script surrounding the entire SuperDuper process. The only problem was determining if the copy was OK or not. When SuperDuper ends, does it return a code to an invoking script which indicates completion status? Perhaps just add some Automator actions?

Ed

Last edited by edoates; 09-28-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add another line about Automator
Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Administrator

If you're running scheduled, you can "patch into" the scheduled copy script. Search around on the forum and you'll find the methods...
Old 09-29-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
If you're running scheduled, you can "patch into" the scheduled copy script. Search around on the forum and you'll find the methods...
Thanks. I think that's the way: create an "application" via Automator to create the mail note and to send it.

Eddie O
Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Did you fix the Growl 1.1.1 issue. I have the same problem, the mailme notification for a successful scheduled copy does not get set. Again all was working fine before the growl update. I am running on a new iMac.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM

I have noticed that MailMe continues to work with other applications.