Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2006, 12:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to dmetzcher Send a message via MSN to dmetzcher Send a message via Yahoo to dmetzcher
Sparse Disk Images are an Option

I used to partition my 250GB FireWire drive for my backups, but, in order to make the partitions large enough to house the backups from two other drives, I had to partition 200GB (two 100GB partitions) just for the backups. This left me with one 50GB partition that I could actually use for something else. I decided last night that I'd use sparse disk images to store the backups from now on. Yes, my backups will be mixed with other data (they are in a "backups" folder on the single partition of the FireWire hard drive now), but they are contained inside the two encrypted sparse image files. Another good thing about using these image files is the fact that I can encrypt them, keeping them away from prying eyes that may have access to the FireWire drive when I'm away from my desk. Also, moving one of these sparse images to somewhere else (a network volume, or another drive) is simple, if I need to keep a snapshot of my data, without updating it. And finally, now I can use the rest of the FireWire drive for whatever I want, and I don't have to dedicate parts of it to backups.

Here is a document by Shirt Pocket on setting up sparse image files and using them with SuperDuper: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81