Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM

New User

Gentlemen:

This weekend I installed Super Duper. It's the first time that I have ever used a backup system. The external drive is G-Drive. When I read the instructions, there was a section describing how to create a "sandbox." Included in this section was a description of how to set up a partition, etc.

At this time my only interest is the ability to access files in the event my laptop fails. I don't write software, or do anything out of the ordinary with my computer. If I had a hard drive failure I would go an buy a new Mac....actually a great excuse to do so.

The issue: I was bewildered by the text describing sandbox. Consequently, I elected to do nothing in regard to establishing a sandbox. Instead, I elected the option from the Super Duper screen that directs the copying of my files to the external drive. Is this all that I have to do to assure that I have access to my files, software, etc in the event of a failed or stolen computer? I was also struck by how easy it was to initiate the backup, including the updates. When I click on the G Drive when it appears on my desktop everything appears to be there....so it must be ok. Does it make sense for me to avoid sandbox...any advantage for me to use it.

A quick last question....if my computer fails or I buy a new one, how do I transfer my address book (iTunes, etc) onto the new computer. Just a drag and drop...the backup address book overwrites installed software and populates the data fields???

Thanks,

--george