Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2007, 08:15 AM

SD, Spotlight, and "Open With"

Something is happening with my backups, and I don't know if it is related to SuperDuper or not.

I back up my system every day to two external drives using SuperDuper. Recently, I have noticed that when I use Spotlight, it only shows two copies of each file, showing only the two backed up copies. But when I use Finder to check the internal system drive, the file is there. I panicked at first, but I now realize that it is some quirk of either Spotlight, or the system's knowledge of the backups made by SuperDuper. Can someone point me to an info source that would explain this?

This kinda-sorta leads me to another problem that really bugs me. When I do an "Open With", or mistakenly pass over it on the menu, I have to wait while the external drives spin up, then I get three selections of each application. And of course, this usually happens by mistake as I mouse over the menu headed down-menu for something else. Is there something I can exclude in SuperDuper for my backups that will block OS X from knowing that there are two additional copies of applications. I understand the need to have the applications backed up, but I'll never want to use one of the external applications.

I sent a support request, but I now realize this is a better place for such questions.

Don Strack
Intel, 20-inch iMac, with 3Gig memory, OS X 10.4.11