Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 AM

Best way transfer existing internal HD data to new internal HD?

Hi,

I've read through the manual and a few of these posts but I still don't know if I am on the right track.

I have a C2D Mac Mini with the factory installed 80GB Hitachi 5400 RPM drive. I recently purchased a 200GB Hitachi 7200 RPM drive and would like to make this the new internal drive for the Mac Mini.

I was planning connecting the 200GB HD to the Mac Mini via a FireWire 2.5" Drive Enclosure Kit and using Disk Utility to format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set the partition scheme to GUID Partition Table.

Next I planned on using SuperDuper to make the 200GB HD a clone of the original 80GB HD drive.

Finally, I was hoping to simply swap these two drives; the new 200GB would be placed in the Mac Mini and the original 80GB HD would be placed into the FireWire 2.5" Drive Enclosure Kit.

Would this yield a "bootable" Mac Mini with all of my programs and preferences intact? Or is this not possible? If not, what is the best/fastest way to transfer over my programs and preferences to the new 200GB HD?

My Mac Mini may be less than a month old, but I have already spent many hours installing programs and getting the HD just right for my needs. I'd hate to have to repeat that process again if I didn't have too.

Also, is it important the the the FireWire 2.5" Drive Enclosure Kit have the Oxford chipset? I don't plan on using the external enclosure kit to boot up the mini; only to house the new 200GB HD while I run disk utility on it. Afterwards it will serve as a potable external 80GB HD.

Thanks,

Bruno