Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Dave,

I think it's a perspective issue on my end. Before I explain, understand that when I first purchased SD I was a working geek and dotcom owner and time was the most precious commodity I had.

Now, I'm retired, have lots of time, love to still play around in the space but the pressure of losing valuable company data isn't there. Thus, I can afford to rebuild my machine and lose the few hours it takes to restore all the apps, if necessary....as long as my /Users data is preserved.

That said, for me it's still easier to just reinstall Leopard and turn on TM, tweak a couple of printer drivers when it's done and you're set. Yes, I realize I wouldn't even have to tweak those printer drivers if I was booting from SD on my Passport drive :-)

Which brings me to the hardware issue. I'm currently trying to simplify my life, so I went from two iMacs and a MacBook Pro to a unibody MacBook with 24" LED Cinema Display, so everything resides in one place and I have only one portable hard drive so I can travel with it. To utilize SD as it should be, I'd have to have a second portable hard drive (not a $ issue but goes against my new KIS principle)...as SD can't backup to a partition on that one drive (or so it told me when I tried to do just that last week).

All this said...you still have the number one Mac backup solution in world, and I've recommended it many times...and still use it, albeit just in the Backup - User mode. I just think where it truly excels doesn't fit me anymore as I don't need to have access to everything immediately if there's a catastrophic failure. Part of that KIS thing was moving my personal and family life to Google Apps, so the worry of email and personal websites is also obviated.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just wanted you to know where I was coming from in how I was trying to "currently" use SD. BTW, the Mac shareware community doesn't realize just how lucky they are to have developers like you, who take the time to respond and talk to their customers. I think many others in the Mac space do that as well, but I spent 15 years in the Windows shareware promotion business and worked with hundreds of developers on a daily basis, of which only a handful truly cared as much about their users as you do. Thanks :-)

Larry