Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 PM

PGP Whole Disk Encryption

I am trying to backup an UN-encrypted iMac to an external drive which is encrypted with PGP's Whole Disk Encryption. The reason I'm backing up from an unencrypted source to an encrypted target is because the backup USB drive will be taken offsite for storage. I can't encrypt the iMac because it has a boot camp partition.

I have searched the forums, and I *know* you're supposed to tell SD to ignore the PGPWDE01 file. I did that. However, since the source doesn't have that file (only the target), SD erased the file anyway, even though I told it to ignore that file on the target.

Any way to instruct SD to ignore files that exist ONLY on the target drive, and NOT on the source drive? You said that v2.6 will work with PGP WDE out of the box, so will that version take this aspect into account? I'm assuming 2.6 will come out sometime after Snow Leopard...?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The current version of SD! does not support a PGPWDE destination. And yes, -- the next update will, and takes this into account. I do not have a release date for it, though, sorry!

Ignoring files always applies to selections from the source. It has no effect on the destination - you can't ignore or select destination files.

Note that you can use an encrypted disk image instead of PGPWDE if you'd like...
Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the SuperSpeedy! reply <g>. The encrypted disk actually works fine in a non-bootable mode, so I'll just leave it in that format until 2.6 is out. It still does the job, providing me a complete clone that's offsite in case of fire or theft, I just won't be able to boot from it.

As long as I know this'll be covered in v2.6, then I can wait

Thanks!
Steve
Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 PM

Thanks I had the same question.

I look forward to a bootable encrypted backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesplinter View Post
Thanks for the SuperSpeedy! reply <g>. The encrypted disk actually works fine in a non-bootable mode, so I'll just leave it in that format until 2.6 is out. It still does the job, providing me a complete clone that's offsite in case of fire or theft, I just won't be able to boot from it.

As long as I know this'll be covered in v2.6, then I can wait

Thanks!
Steve
Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Already available...
Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 PM

Does this mean we should no longer exclude PGPWDE01? Or do we continue to exclude that file and encrypt the target drive with the PGP program?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Already available...
I take it you're referring to bootable encrypted backups? Can you explain how please? I couldn't find anything in the user guide (searched it for "encrypt" and it showed nothing). Nothing in the FAQs either.

I'm running 2.6.1 (v86).

I can see how to create a password-protected encrypted sparse bundle image, but that isn't bootable, is it?