Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 PM

How to Restore Under Leopard?

I've been having some of the same problems others have had after trying to restore a drive using SD under Leopard -- i.e., severely messed-up permissions on restored drive, etc. (didn't know there were compatibility issues with SD and Leopard). So my question is, what is the best way to try to restore my hard drive to working condition. I have two SD backed-up versions of my drive: one 10.4.10 version from right before I upgraded to Leopard, and one 10.5.1 version from a couple of days ago. When I first ran into trouble with the hard drive on my MBP, I tried doing a clean erase/install of Leopard on my MBP, and then smart-updating from my SD back-up copy (of the 10.5.1 drive). The update goes through, but almost every application I try to open comes up with weird, permission-related error messages. If I go back and do another clean install of Leopard, is there any way to get my applications and user files back onto the restored drive without replicating this permission problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You can clean install Leopard and then migrate from the Tiger copy.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM

How would I restore my applications under that process -- I have to do more than just copy the applications folder from the Tiger backup, don't I?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Migration does copy over the applications.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM

The migration from Tiger to Leopard was the easiest/most complete ever (390+ apps and utilities, 78 GB overall). I basically have two machines that are the same (long story). One I did migration from my external into a clean install. On the other I just popped in the Leopard DVD and hit update.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM

No luck with that fix. Did a clean erase and install of Leopard, then used Migration Assistant to migrate my backed-up Tiger files onto the new Leopard drive. It copies everything, but almost nothing opens correctly -- e.g., permission-related error messages when trying to open Photoshop CS3, MS Word, Entourage, Firefox. iTunes.

Doesn't seem possible that the problem could still exist, but it does.

One thing I'll mention is that my MBP hard drive is partitioned into a Mac HD and a Windows HD. I've just erased the Mac HD when doing the clean install, since I didn't want to have to restore everything on the Windows side as well. Is there any reason to believe something on the Windows partition could still be having an effect on the Mac partition even after running the clean install?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

I can't see how those permissions would be messed up if they're working under Tiger -- can you start up from it and have everything work there?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelter View Post
No luck with that fix. Did a clean erase and install of Leopard, then used Migration Assistant to migrate my backed-up Tiger files onto the new Leopard drive. It copies everything, but almost nothing opens correctly -- e.g., permission-related error messages when trying to open Photoshop CS3, MS Word, Entourage, Firefox. iTunes.

Doesn't seem possible that the problem could still exist, but it does.

One thing I'll mention is that my MBP hard drive is partitioned into a Mac HD and a Windows HD. I've just erased the Mac HD when doing the clean install, since I didn't want to have to restore everything on the Windows side as well. Is there any reason to believe something on the Windows partition could still be having an effect on the Mac partition even after running the clean install?
That's strange. I migrated my Tiger 10.4.10 to Leopard using clean install of Leopard and migrated my tiger clone.

No problems at all except one I need to enter my serial #, and another I had to reinstall (I got the warning when migrated) out of hundreds of programs I have.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:19 AM

Nothing worked correctly when I tried starting up from the Tiger backup, so I guess there were preexisting problems that were on that backup.

It's strange, though, because my computer was working fine under Tiger when I did that final Tiger backup. Then I updated to Leopard, and the update went fine, and computer worked fine for a few weeks. I also updated regularly under Leopard (as I said, I wasn't aware of the SD/Leopard compatibility issues). Then a few days ago I couldn't start up (gray screen), and then both backups seemed all screwed up. I guess I can understand why the Leopard backup didn't work, but it's weird that the Tiger one seemed corrupted as well.

Oh well. I ended up having to reinstall Leopard, then install applications one by one, then bring data files back in. Seems okay now.

Hope you get a Leopard version of SD out soon

I appreciate the help trying to sort this out.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
I can't see how those permissions would be messed up if they're working under Tiger -- can you start up from it and have everything work there?
Howdy,

I Migrated from a Tiger clone to a clean install of Leopard and have had some permissions problems too. However, Tiger apparently set some extra attributes and ACL's but didn't really use them while Leopard uses them. Some of them seem to be set by inheritance from above. It's a damn pain!

[rant] I've had printing problems; can crash the printing system at will. At least 20% of the time my airport won't re-connect to the wireless network when it wakes from sleep. I had a whole bunch of text files that were un-writable because of the extra attributes. Not a happy camper! [/rant]

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

That seems weird, Herb. Was this volume manipulated by Leopard before you migrated, or was this the very first time it was "visible" to it?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
That seems weird, Herb. Was this volume manipulated by Leopard before you migrated, or was this the very first time it was "visible" to it?
Howdy,

Never ``seen'' by Leopard before the migration. I'm sort of convinced it's the Migration Manager that is making some (bad) assumptions about inherited extra permissions and ACLs.

For example, some of my directories have custom icons. The extra attributes has a bit for that that was inherited by some of my text file in that directory. That made the files unwritable (regular permissions were ok). I had to a Save As... and overwrite them to get rid of that bit. It has bee a pain, to say the least.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Wow, that's pretty weird. It's too bad the bug sounds like it's in the Migration Assistant, which is burned onto the DVD itself...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 PM

Howdy,

I'm not the only one who has had this problem so it's not a one off kind of thing. Can't be sure it's Migration Assistant though. It's mostly that Leopard makes much more use of those permissions and ACLs than Tiger and any bit that happenend to be set before but ignored now has consequences. Hell it could just be that some bits that Tiger never looked at happened to be set in memory and then written to disk. No idea.

By the way, I'm definitely looking forward to the Leopard version of SD. I've been using CCC just to have something but it takes longer to do an update than to do an erase and copy and the update has failed at the very end when I tried it. I know SD will do it clean and fast when it gets here :-).

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Well, I recognize that it's using ACLs, but a regular Tiger volume shouldn't have any ACLs at all -- ACLs are disabled when you're not using Server, and generally wouldn't apply. And it's really quite unlikely that they'd be randomly set.

Weird, though.