Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Upgrading to 10.5 Leopard: Best Approach?

I'm new to the Mac so please forgive any dumb assumptions. I purchased a new iMac in August with OS X 10.4.10. I also purchased SuperDisk 2.1.4 that I've been using to clone to an external FireWire 800 drive.

With OS X 10.5 coming out this month, I'd like to try it out safely. No doubt some of the apps I've installed will need to be upgraded for 10.5. In the meantime, I'd like to see what runs and what doesn't using the documents that I've already created on my Macitosh HD startup drive.

It looks like there are several options I could choose.

1. Create a second partition on the internal drive and install a fresh 10.5 on it, re-install my apps on that partition as well and access my documents from the other partition. The second partition would eventually become the primary partition after everything is working. This option seems like a lot of work to get the apps installed and preferences reset.

2. Create a second partition on the internal drive or external drive and use SD to create a Sandbox copy of 10.4 with shared applications. Then install 10.5 as an update to 10.4 in the sandbox. Once all my apps are running ok, I would apply the 10.5 upgrade to my original startup partition.

Option 1 lets me start with a fresh OS X. Is that better than upgrading the OS? In the Windows world, I never went the upgrade in place path.

Option 2 seems to be the least amount of work to test the switchover and let me at anytime boot to 10.4.

Are there other/better ways to upgrade the OS?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I do not believe the Sandbox is going to work between Tiger (or Panther) and Leopard -- there are far too many changes in Leopard to be able to share a home folder. So that's not an option.

I think you'll need to have a second partition. Migrate from the Tiger partition, which'll bring over your data, and make sure you like it...
Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Dave,

I'm in the same boat, although I have a bit more flexibility because I have four drives - two internal, and two external. Current config is Sandbox on a 74 GB Raptor boot drive, HD on internal 750 GB drive. Back-up on 400 GB external FW drive, and another 400 GB external FW that has an extra back-up of my images.

I was wondering if it's possible to install 10.5 on the Sandbox to try it out, but after thinking about it more and reading your reply it doesn't sound like a good idea.

I guess I'd be better off zeroing my internal 750 GB, doing a clean install of 10.5 there, and migrating my apps & files from the SuperDuper clone of my current system on the external FW. The only problem with this is that I get very nervous only having one copy of my system/files, and that's where I'd be when I erase the internal 750 prior to installing 10.5. Guess I could risk it, or pick up yet another external FW drive.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

No, I really would not use a Sandbox to install Leopard against a Tiger/Panther install.

And, yes, I understand the nervousness...
Old 10-18-2007, 05:08 PM

Smile A simple situation

Hi, I'm in a similar but more simple situation and would like an answer to the original question, "How to upgrade with the assistance of SD?"

I have a newish iMAC (August 2007) 24" with 10.4 and an external HD with 500GB and 800 FireWire. I have a cloned bootable exact copy of my iMAC HD on a 250GB partition on the external HD that was created by SD and is updated daily by SD.

So, is it best for me to make a final SD created update to my external HD from my iMAC HD (10.4 clone) and then do a vanilla install of 10.5 (Leopard) onto my iMAC HD? I could then copy my data files back to my new 10.5 iMAC and install my apps there too.

If it all goes pear shaped , then I could boot from my external HD and copy my 10.4 clone back to the iMAC HD using SD run from the external HD.

If all goes well , I just wait until Shirt-Pocket confirm my current SD build will work with 10.5 or download the update that does. Then I just used SD as seems fit alongside TimeMachine.

I can avoid using TimeMachine until this time, or use it on the other 250GB partition on my external HD.

I thought this was how to use SD in this situation. But perhaps I'm missing something?

What do you all think of that plan?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Well, I think the first thing I'd try, after a full backup with SD!, of course, is an upgrade install. You can do the clean install if you have trouble with the upgrade, eh?