Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Thumbs up First time caller here with just a few questions...

Hi all, i just installed superduper on a brandspanking new macbookpro and so far so good. i just had a few questions and kudos to the developers for making it so simple to get started. I am also a bit new to OSX, coming from decades of microsoft pain and suffering. I was using Acronis Truimage for years and would like to know the following:
* is superduper like carbon copy cloner as in bit for bit backups, and that would be like Acronis but just easier?
* is there a recovery procedure for restoring a caput system from an image sitting on a windows server, which is where i am backing up to right now.
"* is 1.5MB/s backup speed what one would expect over a SOHO lan? that's what I am getting now and that's what i was getting with Acronis, but Acronis was doing heavy compression....is superduper doing any? that would be a bonus!
Well, thanks for a cool product...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
SD! does bit-for-bit file backups, yes, but the files are copied one at a time. We're not block copying.

To recover from a Windows server, you'd have to bring up a basic install of OSX so you can access the image over the network. You could do this with a small partition, etc -- DasBoot (see VerisonTracker) might be able to help with this, too.

Then, you restore as in "Recovering from a disaster "in the User's Guide.

We're not compressing, no. A straight copy over a network depends a lot on what the network's doing, how fast the server's responding, etc -- I get 4-6MB/s on Gigabit ethernet to an Infrant ReadyNAS NV. A subsequent Smart Update, in any case, will be faster.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
SD! does bit-for-bit file backups, yes, but the files are copied one at a time. We're not block copying.

To recover from a Windows server, you'd have to bring up a basic install of OSX so you can access the image over the network. You could do this with a small partition, etc -- DasBoot (see VerisonTracker) might be able to help with this, too.
I hate to be dumb, but u mean a small partition on say, this 120gb MBP? that makes sense as long as it's very small...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Then, you restore as in "Recovering from a disaster "in the User's Guide.

We're not compressing, no. A straight copy over a network depends a lot on what the network's doing, how fast the server's responding, etc -- I get 4-6MB/s on Gigabit ethernet to an Infrant ReadyNAS NV. A subsequent Smart Update, in any case, will be faster.

Hope that helps!
What about this page, is it valid only for Mac to Mac over the network:
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81)
Well, thanks for the great support!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Yes, you can create a small partition on the MBP, or you could create one on an external drive, or with DasBoot on a flash drive (which is probably easiest).

Backing up over a network is to back up, not to restore, so that thread isn't really relevant.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Question

Ah, so the backup itself is not bootable. I guess i was spoiled wiht Acronis where u would just restore the entire boot partition from the network and then reboot ur your box and u would be done.

Is there a procedure to test this all out?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Administrator

The backup is bootable once restored. The question is getting into an environment where you can restore it.

Since the OSX install disc doesn't have complete network support, you can't do it with a disc you have. So, you need to create an environment that will allow access to your Windows network -- and that's done with the procedure I've recommended.

Better: get a FireWire drive (about $100) and back up directly to it. Then, you can start up directly from the backup -- much better!