Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2008, 05:41 PM

Is it possible to create an encrypted disk image file with SuperDuper?

I'm new to SuperDuper and am trying to do something that seems should be simple, but I can't figure out how to do...

I want to create a fully encrypted (i.e. must have password to open) disk image file of my main Mac HD. I know I can do this directly in Apple's Disk Utility program, but this process requires first booting from another volume (or from the installation DVD). I just want to create an image of my disk without rebooting from some other volume. SuperDuper can create the disk image file, but I never see any option to enable encryption of that file (Disk Utility does have this option). Maybe this option is available when using the fully registered version of SD? I'll be happy to pay the fee but don't want to do it if I can't create an encrypted disk image file while running from the volume I want to backup.

As an aside, but in a related theme - I'm a recent convert to the Mac realm from the Windows realm where full encrypted disks (via bios) and disk images (via Norton Ghost) are very easy to create and use. I'm quite frustrated so far in not being able to fully encrypt the hard disk on my new MacBook Pro (Leopard 10.5.5) without performance penalties or risk of corrupted large image files, and also frustrated in not easily being able to create an encrypted backup image. I've scoured the web for info on full disk encryption to no avail (FileVault, PGP, TrueCrypt, etc. all have problems and/or limitations) - looks like I'm not alone in this challenge.

Thanks for any help on how to create an encrypted disk image in SuperDuper and/or any help on full disk encryption.

Many Thanks,

-Bob