Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Unhappy Auto Mount Network Volume/Image

I'm running 10.5.2 on both my computers. I have a backup drive connected to Mac A. File sharing is on for Mac A. From Mac B, I have a scheduled script which backs up Mac B to an image on the backup drive. If I do not have the backup drive mounted on Mac B desktop, then the scripts fails to mount the backup image. The users guide says on page 19 that the image will be mounted as needed and then dismounted after the copy.

Any ideas why I need to keep the backup drive mounted al the time?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
As I indicated in my emailed response to you, we won't mount a drive that's not mounted over a network. Sorry!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM

Could this been done with applescripts? can't SD run a script before and after the backup?

Scott
Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator

You could change the 'schedule driver' to do this (I've explained how elsewhere on the forums), but not the before/after scripts, because the 'before' scripts runs *after* the drive is mounted.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 AM

O.K., maybe a feature request for 3? I too am interested in doing this. As a sys admin, I would like SD to mount the drive, do the backup and unmount. I don't want users have access to the backup drive/network volume during their normal work times.

Scott
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 AM

Check out the start /finish options in Synchronize Pro X from qdea, VERY flexible
Old 05-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarmic View Post
O.K., maybe a feature request for 3? I too am interested in doing this. As a sys admin, I would like SD to mount the drive, do the backup and unmount. I don't want users have access to the backup drive/network volume during their normal work times.

Scott
I agree with Scott. It would be extremely useful to have SD be able to mount a network drive, do it's backup, and unmount.

I was able to add an applescript to unmount the network drive after the backup. (In the Advanced tab, "Run shell script after copy completes"). This solves half the problem. When I tried to solve the other half by adding a shell scrip to mount the network drive with the "Run shell script before copy starts" it doesn't work since this script is run after SD attempts to mount the backup volume! Is there any reason why the "Run shell script before copy starts" option couldn't run this script at the very beginning before SD does any other actions? This would make the shell script much more useful.

--Cal
Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
You could change the 'schedule driver' to do this (I've explained how elsewhere on the forums), but not the before/after scripts, because the 'before' scripts runs *after* the drive is mounted.
Dave,

Can you point us to your explanation of how to use the 'schedule driver' to mount a networked drive before SD runs a scheduled backup?

--Cal
Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Yes: that's not what it's designed to do. It's designed to let you do things after the volume has been mounted but before the copy starts. Similarly, the post-copy action is after the copy is done before the volume is unmounted.

If you want to do something before a schedule starts, you can modify the script "driver" (and you should fine various posts about that here).