Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Too much muscle?

Hello,

I just bought a MacBook and wanted to back it up to my OWC external drive. My question is, after I do this, will I need the SuperDuper trial version--let alone the FULL version?

Basically, I only use my computer for writing and designing, so would want to regulary update those files/folders. I was hoping for some kind of easy "sync" that would update them daily, but I just read that "Smart Update" also deletes files. As you can imagine, I use my OWC for massive photoshop storage, which I then delete from my HD, so Smart Update would be disasterous for what I need.

So, do I use SuperDuper at all, or just drag and drop my new files to the OWC backup?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Yes. You should read "Storing a backup alongside other files on a destination drive" in the User's Guide, and partition the external drive into two (or more) volumes -- one for your backup, and one for your Photoshop storage.

Don't drag and drop a backup. It won't work.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Hi Dave,

Yes, I would definitely partition the external to have one full bootable backup and one for other files. But I'm still confused...

If I don't drag & drop as you suggested, SuperDuper only gives me the option of "all files", which would delete the old photos on my external drive (because I'd arleady have deleted them from my HD).

I guess I don't understand how to work around this, and why this isn't the main question on this forum. Don't most people want to delete files from their computer--to make more space on their computer--while KEEPING older files nice and secure on their backup? Am I crazy, or just misunderstanding this application?

Thanks for your help and patience!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
If you want to archive photos, move them to an archive partition on the drive, rather than trying to keep them "inside" your backup (which should represent your current drive, not a mix of old and new files, if you want to be able to restore conveniently).