Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
No, it's not a backup solution, but -- in combination with a full backup -- it is a solution to the "surprises buried in updates" problem.

By installing the system updates to a Sandbox rather than your main drive, you can maintain its pristine, "checkpointed" condition, while you check out the changes to the system. Once you're satisfied they meet your needs, you can apply those changes to the original volume.

Since your original volume is getting backed up (fully), your system retains its "known good" state... and rolling back from a "bad update" when using a Sandbox is a simple matter of restarting from the original volume: much easier than a "real" restore!
Dave,
I want to make sure I understand the strategy you are suggesting here, as I believe it tells me exactly what I need to know about how to handle a recent installation of 10.4.5 on my Sandbox. Although it seems to be working fine, I want to go a few more days to see if anything strange happens. My original volume is still running 10.4.4. I also have two backup volumes, one on an external HD, and the other on a partition of a second internal HD. I try to rotate backups between these two backup volumes.
As I understand what you are recommending, I would work off the Sandbox until the end of the day, let's say, and then reboot from the original volume and run a Smart Update to one of the backup volumes. Next, I would reboot from the Sandbox and continue my work the next day on that volume. And at the end of the day, I would again boot up from my original volume and do a Smart Update to my other backup volume, and so on, until I am satisfied that 10.4.5 is for me. At that point I would either install 10.4.5 directly on to the original volume or carefully follow the instructions for copying back from the Sandbox to the original volume.
A related issue occurs to me. If while I am basically operating off the Sandbox and want to install a new third-party application, for example, a new money management program or LaunchBar, for a trial, can I do that on the Sandbox which is still my trial volume for 10.4.5?
Please excuse the length of this question, but SD does such a great job that I would hate to screw things up by inadvertently doing something wrong.
Thanks, Steve