Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 AM

How to copy back-up to an older Mac

I have been using SuperDuper! to faithfully backup my MacBook Pro on a regular basis.

Now I need SuperDuper! to transfer the backed-up material to my old PowerBook G4, because my MacBook Pro is gone.

But.......when I want to copy from BACK-UP to POWERBOOK I can't: the POWERBOOK name appears in the COPY TO pull-down menu, but it is dimmed.

Now what?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You can't restore to a drive you're running from. But that's not a problem... usually.

This might be difficult, because you're trying to copy from an Intel Mac to a Power PC Mac. But, you can try starting up from the backup by holding Option down during startup, and selecting the drive. Once you're running from the backup, you should be able to restore to the internal.

If you can't start up from the backup (because it's set up for your MacBook Pro), you'll want to clean install Leopard to your PowerBook. It'll prompt you to 'copy from another Mac': point at the backup volume and it'll bring in your applications, accounts and data.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
You can't restore to a drive you're running from. But that's not a problem... usually.

This might be difficult, because you're trying to copy from an Intel Mac to a Power PC Mac. But, you can try starting up from the backup by holding Option down during startup, and selecting the drive. Once you're running from the backup, you should be able to restore to the internal.

If you can't start up from the backup (because it's set up for your MacBook Pro), you'll want to clean install Leopard to your PowerBook. It'll prompt you to 'copy from another Mac': point at the backup volume and it'll bring in your applications, accounts and data.
I will try both, but before I do another question:
My backup is about 90GB and my PowerBook G4 has only a 40GB HD. Can I remove my pics, songs and movies (about 50GB) from the backup without "destroying" the backup, and then copy the remainder of my backup to the PowerBook G4?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaver4u View Post
Can I remove my pics, songs and movies (about 50GB) from the backup without "destroying" the backup, and then copy the remainder of my backup to the PowerBook G4?
If you delete files from the backup they'll be permanently gone but you could still restore any that haven't been deleted.