Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 11-04-2017, 08:29 AM

Problem transferring to setup new laptop

We got my wife's new Macbook Pro. Did a fresh backup in SuperDuper to a partitioned external HD, plugged it into the new laptop, selected that partition as the source for transferring stuff, and am getting an error message that the partition is a case sensitive file system while the new laptop is case insensitive.

So, now what do I do? Is there some way to create a new backup on the external hard drive that is case insensitive? Never seen this before. I upgraded her to High Sierra on the original machine a week ago hoping to avoid any compatibility issues with the file systems and now this.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
So...you formatted your backup as case sensitive?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:05 AM

well, apparently. But I've never seen that as an option. And this is interesting, it listed the partition holding my laptop's backup as case sensitive, as well. I brought up Disk utility on my laptop and my file system is case insensitive. So how am I ending up with backups that are case sensitive? I just attached the hard drive to my laptop and brought up SuperDuper and I don't see any case options. In the Advanced options tab, the only thing checked is to copy ACLs, which I did not enable. And I have no idea what those are.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Administrator

It sounds like you must have formatted case sensitive. Can you send the log from the backup to me using the "Send to shirt pocket" button so I can see tie details, and we'll continue via support email once you've done that. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 AM

thanks, just sent it. and just confirmed in Disk Utility/Info. On the line that reads "is case sensitive" the value is "no". So not sure how my backup is case sensitive.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Administrator

You confirmed the source. But the destination has been case sensitive since September 9th, at least (that's as far back as I could go)...
Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Yep, but how did that happen? And more importantly, is there a way I can now for my laptop's backup create a fresh back to that partition that is case insensitive? Is it something superduper does or did I make it case sensitive when I initially created the partition?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Administrator

It's something you did when you created the partition with Disk Utility. It's not something we did.

You can certainly format the drive case insensitive and then copy it again...in fact, an erase-then-copy backup will make it case insensitive (assuming both drives are the same major format - e.g. HFS+) for you.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:23 PM

cool, I'll try that on my partition. On my wife's, we can get around the data migration issue. She has no music, contacts or photos, just documents and bookmarks. I can manually move those. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:24 PM

one question: how can I tell if a backup on a partition is case sensitive or insensitive? I'm guessing I need to boot to that partition and then run disk utility from that and check, correct? Was hoping there might be some simpler way but I'm guessing that's it.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Look in "Get Info" for the volume in Finder.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:53 PM

ok, I did an erase and full backup option in SuperDuper and the resulting partition is still case sensitive. Says it's "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)."

I'm assuming at this point I need to reformat that partition in some way. I upgraded to High Sierra a few weeks ago, under format that just says "APFS". I'm assuming that maybe the fact that the source is APFS has something to do with this.

So, direction on where to go from here? I copied my wife's Documents and Desktop folders from her old machine to a Misc partition on this drive. Once I setup her laptop and move those folders back, I can reformat and repartition the entire external drive as APFS, if that's possible.

And if so, best app to do that with? Can Disk Utility do it?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Is the source case sensitive?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:56 PM

As I wrote above, no. In Disk Utility for the line "is case sensitive" the value to the right is 'no'. The source is APFS and my resulting backup is Mac OS Extended Journaled, case sensitive.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:57 PM

and sorry to be such a pain in the ass on a beautiful Saturday. At least it's beautiful here in Austin. I appreciate your help, Dave.