Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-20-2004, 07:59 PM

Bootable Rescue Disk

I am a new user, (already) former DejaVu user, and very impressed by SuperDuper!
I love the ease of use and the neat GUI.
Is there a way to make a bootable DVD that would take the current system version and a few indispensible utilities (DiskUtility, DiskWarrior etc...)
Anyway, thanks for the great product,

Ed
Old 09-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
SuperDuper! isn't designed to back up to DVDs, so there's isn't a way to do this with it. However, BootCD should be able to do so.

Note, however, that we don't guarantee that SuperDuper! will run properly when you're booted from a Read/Only volume. I know, for example, that if volinfo.database isn't set up to indicate that the volumes you want to restore have permissions on, then SuperDuper! won't be able to verify its permission status... there may be other issues as well.

So -- I'd suggest, for many reasons, that you create a bootable backup on read/write media, such as a small hard disk. It's more flexible, doesn't involve hacking, and works correctly.

Hope that helps, Ed!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:35 PM

Dave,
I'm sooooo impressed with the quality and promptness of your reply.
I'm just back from a major disaster so I tend to look for belt AND suspenders...
My 17" PB froze and died on me a couple of days ago.
I had a recent backup on a FW disk but I could not access my HD, whatever boot option I would use.
After going all over the net scrutinizing every mac message boards and support sites I knew of, (this is how I became awre of the indispensable SuperDuper! I finally succeeded, reformatted and succesfully restored my HD.
SInce this incident, DiskWarrior Hardware test returns the following message:
"This hard drive's built-in S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics indicate a failure or pending failure that could result in loss of data."
Still, the disk works normally, I do 2 smart updates a day on 2 FW drives. I don't know if I need to replace my hard drive (bummer) or if the SMART diagnostic has been damaged during the crash.
Before the crash, I had installed the last version of Virex that since has been removed from both MCAffee and Apple download sites and seems to have a very bad reputation all over the Net.
In your opinion, is there any way I could find out what to do, status quo or new disk
Sorry for the lengthy post,

Ed
Old 09-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Happy to be able to help, Ed.

If you're receiving a SMART error indicating failure, you'd do well to pay close attention, and get that drive replaced ASAP. Do not continue to use it -- get a good backup, and replace that drive. SMART errors are returned when the controller itself receives an indicate that the drive is, indeed, failing -- so, no status quo!