Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 AM

managing scheduled copying in a smarter way

(I could only find one thread touching peripherally on this subject, but apologise in advance if it had been covered already)

My computer is backed up twice daily (early afternoon at work, and late at night at home) across four alternating devices. Since I've got four partitions, this makes sixteen scripts for scheduled copies; so, at most half a day's work away from a full restore, and a constant backup going back 48 hrs. When my daily schedule is normal (work - home, home - work) scheduling works a treat, and everything runs smoothly in the background, for which I am grateful.

However, I often travel for business, and take one of the "home" drives (the only portable one) with me for daily backups while away. This is when the nuisance starts:
- all the scripts for the scheduled copies will fire up and do nothing, since the target devices are not found (and SD will not quit if it finds nothing; in other words, there is no setting for the opposite of "On successful completion");
- I still have to remember to override the scheduled copy for the portable drive, and run another script, manually.

This is all inelegant, and a bit annoying considering the quiet efficiency of the app in its usual scenario.

So, here's the question: can SuperDuper be plugged into the "Location" settings of the System, so that certain scripts are assigned to specific locations?

Alternatively, could there be a way of creating sets of scripts in many-to-many combinations?

If that is not possible, can there -- at least! -- be a setting for temporarily suspending some [sets of] scripts?

Thank you