Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 02-04-2007, 12:35 AM

Backing up to AirPort Disks (via AirPort Extreme Base Station)

Hi,

The new Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station with 802.11n claims to have a network disk sharing feature called AirPort Disk.

Could SuperDuper! be used to make bootable partitions on such a disk? If not, could Sparse Image backups be used like with other kinds of network fileshares?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
I've got mine on order and it hasn't arrived, so I can't confirm from direct testing, but I'm certain that it'll work with sparse images.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 PM

I've just got my Airport Extreme and I can't figure out how to do this sparse image thingie. I want to have all my external disks plugged into the AE. They show up fine in the finder and for general use it's fantastic, but the disks are nowhere to be seen in SD.

I have one disk to backup my laptop's internal drive and one disk to back up the remaining usb disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've not found any options at all that I can edit until I've selected two volumes.

I can see how I'd make a backup of my laptop using disk image (are they bootable?), but am I going to be stuffed in making a backup of a network disk onto another network disk?

Cheers for any light you may shed onto this problem
Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

See the User's Guide, Graham -- "Backing up over a network" gives all the details you need.

(I've done my initial tests, by the way, and things seem to work fine to the drive, although it's not super fast. The base station also crashes badly if the attached drive fills, so be careful!)
Old 02-08-2007, 02:03 PM

Yeah, I've got my laptop's internal drive backing up to a disk image (I am right in thinking that these are bootable?), but I was wondering how to back up one usb disk onto another when both are plugged into the airport extreme. If it's not possible, then maybe this would be a good feature to think about for a future release? The new AE is going to take NAS to the masses.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

It's not directly bootable, but you'll be able to boot from it once restored to a supported startup device.

NAS -> NAS copying is not currently possible, except as mounted image -> mounted image.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Good stuff. Cheers for the help. Just hope that NAS to NAS is considered for a future release.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:39 PM

NAS BAckup on New Airport Base Station Does Not Work

The SuperDuper user guide states that it does not work with NAS or a FAT 32 drive. The new Airport Base Station requires FAT32. I tried doing a backup and SuperDuper crashes shortly into the backup.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator

The Airport Base Station does not require FAT32; it works great with HFS+ volumes, Whippy.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:07 AM

Assuming you are correct, although Apple support staed that most people have problems with the router if the attached storage device is not FAT32, why then does SuperDuper crash when attempting to backup to the NAS drive connected to the Base Station?
Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 AM

My AirPort Extreme works fine with HFS+ volumes. Unfortunately superduper doesn't work, but I've found no other problems with it.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Whippy -- I'd need to see the crash. My guess is that you got to 4GB maximum size and then the OS crashed because -- as documented in the User's Guide -- it doesn't deal with this case very well.

Graham -- SD! certainly does work with the AirPort Extreme. See "Backing up over a network" in the user's guide.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Ok then, it doesn't work in the way I want to. I've had bad experiences backing up to disk images before, and as noted in the user guide, it is slower (i.e. too slow).
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Ah! Different issue entirely...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 AM

Yes, that is in fact what occurred. The 4GB size and then the application quits. Any fix for this?
Thank you