Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Getting Started Plan - Input Requested

Hello, new to the discussion board and interested in any experienced suggestions, and thank you in advance for any input as I want to do this right the first time. Home network switcher to Mac. Have two Intel iMAC's connected to TC w/ TM and plan to leave that alone as it is currently stable after some recent glitches for some reason, but now corrected. I will connect an external HD to one main Intel iMAC 500GB ,OSX 10.5.5 for file storage, HD clone and bootable copy of OSX Install DVD.

My plan: Will purchase a LaCie External, either 500GB or 750GB haven't decided which yet. Then purchase licensed version of SD to clone system HD for insurance down the road. Will format the LaCie per Mfg instructions for Mac. Then will use DU to partition (1st time for me) external into 3 volumes.......size per volume?

Volume One: OSX Leo Install DVD ..........GB size?
(for quick booting for any repairs on internal HD...if this can be done, instead of dragging out the DVD and booting from that - maybe SD can do?).

Volume Two: Leo Clone of Internal HD ......GB size?
(current used space on 500GB disk is 75GB. Will use SD Smart Update

Volume Three: Saved File Storage (pic's, music, important files)....GB size ?

Any suggestions or recommendations are very much welcomed. I'm mainly planing this for a day of system failure (hope not) but it would save my bacon from the loss of family docs etc. We are not real intensive with the home network but have years of family financials, files, photos, contacts etc. and would want a quick way to restore if needed.

I have read many good things about SD and the excellent customer service & support (which is evident here). I apologize for the length of the post but wanted to give an explanation of where I'm at and where I want to go for clarification.

Oh, can the volumes on the external be encrypted after backups are completed ? for reasons of theft. Yes we have that where we live....that is another story.

Thanks again for any advice.......
Bill