Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2008, 07:31 PM

Disk Utility, SD, Activity Monitor freeze while enabling journaling

Today my backup failed with the following error, which I haven't seen before:

| 03:57:06 PM | Error | SDCopy: Attempt to create hard link on /Volumes/Backup but file system format does not support hard links. Please enable HFS+ Journaling with Disk Utility and try again.\n

I have installed some new software (including ccache, via MacPorts, although as far as I know it only creates symbolic links), so perhaps that's why I'm seeing this now.

So I started up Disk Utility, selected the backup drive, and pressed the "Make Journaled" button, and now Disk Utility, SuperDuper!, and Activity Monitor are all unresponsive, although other apps (Terminal, Firefox, Colloquy, and Finder) work fine.

Perhaps anything that tries to access the backup drive is freezing. The apps have been frozen for the last 15 or so minutes, but my drive is buzzing (although not crackling) and lighting up its single LED as if it is being used.

How long should enabling journaling take, and how dangerous is it to force quit the frozen apps if Disk Utility doesn't thaw?