Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 03-24-2006, 08:03 AM

Backup fails because of not enough room on destination sparseimage file???

My backup is failing because of an error copying a large (14GB) video clip file. The backup is being performed to a sparse disk image located on a network drive. Here are the attributes of the 3 volumes involved (pictures too):

Physical disk being backed up:
Capacity: 74.4 GB
Available: 15.59 GB
Used 58.81 GB

Network disk upon which the sparseimage file is located:
Capacity: 232.76 GB
Available: 134.14 GB
Used: 96.1 GB

Virtual disk opened from DMG file:
Capacity: 74.4 GB
Available: 14.53 GB
Used 59.87 GB

The copy fails partway through. I've gone in through the Finder and deleted the file, tried copying it manually, and tried the backup again. Nothing works.

I thought a sparseimage file would increase dynamically as required?

Thanks for any help,
Tubwreck ("Norrebo")
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture 4.pdf (93.3 KB, 5866 views)
File Type: pdf Picture 3.pdf (76.7 KB, 5897 views)
File Type: pdf Picture 2.pdf (46.2 KB, 5867 views)
Old 03-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi Tubwreck/Norrebo.

What, exactly, is the error? When you say you "tried copying it manually", did you do so to the image, and did that work? (You said "Nothing works", but I can't tell if that did.)

Sparse images do grow automatically, yes, as long as they're unconstrained on the destination and were created with an appropriate maximum size...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:31 AM

Hi Dave,

Yes, I tried copying to the image, but that did not work (immediately failed with 'not enough room on the device'.

(In general, is that a supported use case? That is, can I manually update the disk image outside of SD and then later expect SD to do the right thing?)

Tell me more about the 'created with an appropriate maximum size...' SD created the image for me the first time I did the backup. I assume that it sized it based on the physical size of my HD. I've been doing "Smart Updates" to this disk image for a while.

Is there any way to increase the max size of the sparse image file?

If my only alternative is to create a new backup image with SD, can I tell SD to make the image bigger than its default?

As always, thanks!

TN
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

The image is, indeed, sized based on the original drive. And, in this case, you can see that's right. There only seems to be 14GB or so available on the drive. If you're trying to copy even slightly more than that (and it seems like you are), it won't work... that makes sense, doesn't it?

You can certainly update the image outside SD -- it's a drive, and you can do what you'd like to it.

Why would you want it to be larger than the source? (You can do this by manually creating the image and pointing us to it.)
Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 AM

Well the problem that I am having is that SD is unable to to a "Smart Update" backup to the disk image. It makes no sense, since the physical disk is 80MB and the image is 80MB why it can't update the image, but it can't. The image was created by SD originally.

I assume that the reason this is happening (this is just a guess) is that SD wants to copy the new 14 GB file before it deletes some other large file from the image. The copy fails.

I think the "bug" and I'm just guessing here is that SD doesn't create the image with a big enough safety margin. If the physical disk is 90% full and the user updates a big (say 14 GB) file, when SD goes to update the image, there isn't room on the image for both the old and new version of the file.

Is this making any sense?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Sure, and I discuss that exact issue in the Troubleshooting section of the User's Guide. There are definitely cases where you can have a source and destination that can't be reconciled, especially if you're dealing with large (14GB) files and the drive is close to full.

If you know what large file you moved/deleted/whatever, you can manually go into the destination and delete it. Then, empty your trash, and the smart update will work.