Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 04-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Notification if a scheduled backup doesn't run?

I just started using for nightly backups. If for some reason the backup does not run as scheduled will I be notified? I don't want to have to check the log each morning. I'm looking for a quick confirmation.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The entry in "Scheduled Copies" will be red if there's a problem, and the UI should stay open. If you leave SD! open, with the Scheduled Copies window visible, you can get a quick visual confirmation of what happened, too.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Feature request - email details of backup status

Hi Dave,

I thought that there would be a relevant post by which to reply and tack on a feature request.

I of course love SuperDuper! and it is used daily by me at work and home for making backups. It all works so well I tend to forget that there are about 6 different scheduled backups running every day now. From time to time a backup will fail (usually because the target backup disk gets filled up). So what I should be doing everyday is always checking SuperDuper to see that things have worked ok. But sometimes I forget (we've had very few reasons to ever retrieve data off of a backup which is why I tend to forget that SuperDuper is there), and sometimes I'm not in the office.

I realised yesterday that I can ssh in to our work computer and navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!/Scheduled Copies and then go find the latest log file for each of the different backups and check for the 'Copy complete' line. So I'm now tempted to write a quick perl/shell script which will do this and email me the results to let me know whether the backups worked. Then it struck me that I bet other people would like the same functionality, so I thought I'd ask whether this could be implemented as a feature request.

Specifically, I'd envisage SuperDuper would store a target email address and you could choose whether you want the full log file emailed, or just a simply summary (backup succeeded or failed). Each backup would trigger a separate email. Anyway, I realise that you have a million and other one things to be working on but I thought I'd try the old 'if you don't ask, you don't get' addage.

Regards and thanks (as always) for a great piece of software,

Keith
Old 05-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions, Keith. Notification enhancements are something I've got on the list for future versions.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:02 AM

I would love to be able to use an automatic email notification feature, too

I'm really looking forward to the addition of this feature.
Thank you,
Erik
Old 05-22-2006, 07:51 PM

Yep. Count me in.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM

I vote for this too - more for the notification of things *not* working. I dont need to wade through 50 emails a day telling me everything is a-ok.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:00 PM

Any progress on this? I hate having to open superduper every day to make sure my backup went ok. If it just sent me an email or opened a dialogue that I could see when I get to my computer that would be great. I see something about growl support on here, but it would be even better if I didn't have to install extra 3rd party software....other backup programs do this, get with the program!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator

At present, the solution is to install Growl. It's a lightweight application that specializes in notifications and works quite well.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:44 PM

Dave,

i'd be willing to pay for email notification, i'd like the option to see success and failure notifications, as well as the complete log. i've got multiple customers that have purchased copies, but it would be a big help for me to get notifications so i could respond to their problems proactively. my customers probably have 15 copies total to date, i'm selling more but would love to have this feature. name a price to move it up in the queue?

thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Email notification -- including success and failure -- is already there via Growl. The only thing that's not there is emailing the log.

You could, of course, modify the scheduling template to do whatever you'd like for your customers. That's why the source is available... and in AppleScript for your convenience.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to toctocmale
Question Growl on a PPC OSX 4.8 ?

Dave,
is it then possible to install Growl on a G5 PPC to get the log notification until your next version of SD! ?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Of course. Just install it from http://www.growl.info.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Email notification -- including success and failure -- is already there via Growl.
Is Growl still the recommended way to get notified of SuperDuper (SD) backup failures without looking in the log file?

Since I found out SD can mount an offline drive before backup and eject it afterwards, I've been using this feature. The only thing that sucks is that if you want to look at the log file you have to 1st mount the drive otherwise SD can't seem to provide it otherwise. If I'm missing something, please let me know.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Growl is definitely the recommended way, yes. But the log should be available without mounting the volume: is this a scheduled copy?