Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2005, 10:12 PM

Questions from another newbie trying to get it right.

I am brand new to SuperDuper!, having used Retrospect and Carbon Copy Cloner in the past. I have studied the user's guide and followed a number of threads on this forum, so I think I understand what SD! will be doing. But, before I start erasing and partitioning drives, I wanted to run by you my proposed backup strategy. Better safe than sorry.

I have a Dual 2.5 Ghz PowerPC G5, running OS X 10.4.2, with two internal hard drives, both of which are nominally 250 GB. The first drive is called Steve's G5 HD, and at the moment that is my only bootable drive. The second internal drive is called Steve's 2d G5 HD. My plan is to erase and partition this 2d drive into two partitions: 1. perhaps 225 GB to be used as a bootable backup for the first drive; and 2. the balance of 25 GB for the Safety Clone (or Sandbox).

In this connection, one question has been puzzling me. The user's guide states that it is very important to reboot from the Safety Clone. Does that mean you continue to use it as your start up disk until such time as you are satisfied that none of the new installations are causing a problem? And at that time you reboot from Drive 1 and install the new applications, updates, etc., on to Drive 1. I think that is what it says to do at page 25 of the user's guide, but some of the language was slightly ambiguous.

In addition to the two internal drives of the G5, I have a 500 GB La Cie External FW Drive that I have been using as a redundant back up for the G5 Drive 1, as well as for backing up a PowerBook and a G4 desktop. It seems to me to make sense to have a redundant back up of this type, that can be moved to a different location if one is going away, etc. So, I am planning to partition this drive in to enough partitions to cover the PowerBook and the G4 desktop and some data storage, as well as two partitions for the G5 Drive 1, one of which will be for a regular backup and the other for a Safety Clone of that drive. Does that make sense? Are there any potential problems that I should keep in mind in connection with naming these partitions? I recall, I believe, reading in the user's guide that the original drive and the backup should have the same name. Wouldn't that be confusing? Perhaps I misinterpreted whatever I read.

I apologize for being so long-winded. Thanks for your willingness to take on such questions. It's one of the important reasons why I decided to give SD! a try.

Steve