Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 08-30-2005, 03:39 AM

Another use for SuperDuper?

Problem: Powerbooks and mini's suffer from a 2.5" hard drive that will never be as fast as a 3.5"

I am thinking that if you used the "safety clone users & apps" option to copy your files to a fast 3.5" drive. You are now loading apps, running the system and doing virtual memory task on the fast drive, while saving all documents and personal files on the powerbook.

I just bought an external monitor for my powerbook. I plan on using it about 70% of the time. Just as if this idea works, I would only be using it 70% of the time. I understand that I would not receive maximum protection from the software, But I am ok with that. Anyhow I just want to speed up the machine at home so I don't have to go and buy a G-5 too. I was thinking about just cloning my drive and running off of the external drive 100% of the time, but my files on the powerbook would never be current.

And from what I understand, If I was to leave my "sandbox" at home and use my machine away, all the same files would be with me except for any new applications that I had installed since last sync?

Thanks,

-B
Old 08-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi, B.

You would definitely be booting from the faster drive -- which would be used for the OS, swapfiles (VM), temporary files, and stuff from /Library -- but your applications would be mostly running from the original drive (since they'd be shared, too).

If you wanted to run the applications from the faster drive, you'd use "Safety Clone - shared users", not "... shared users and applications".

And -- yes -- if you leave your Sandbox at home, your data would still be there: your main volume would not have any updates you'd done, though.

Sounds like a plan!
Old 09-01-2005, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok. Lets go deeper. Lets say I have been running off of the sandbox volume for two weeks. Durring that time I have updated Safari, updated two apps, installed four new apps and deleted an old one.

So I am guessing my new apps are on my sandbox, and all the app support files and .plist are on my main volume? What else am I missing on my main volume?

And what is the best way to update my main volume. 1) Install each app again. 2)Use a syncing software to copy changes to the main volume. 3)I hope you have a better way for this spot

Thanks in advance

Brian
Old 09-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

OK, Brian. I think you'll find this thread, specifically my response, useful as a way to get things to update on the main volume.

It's always hard to know what you're missing, of course. Basically, you're missing everything that's not shared. We share a few folders in /Library (SyncServices and OpenBase), all of /Users, your OS9 desktop and your 3rd party applications in /Applications. Everything else is copied. (You can see a full list by examining the script -- there's no magic here, and the scripts are completely open.)

So, if something is written outside of the normal "rules" -- that is, in some nonstandard folder, or Users files stored outside their normal locations -- it's on the Sandbox.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:26 AM

Great! Thanks again for the quick reply. In fact I think so much of your customer service, I just bought SuperDuper!

Thanks again

Brian
Old 09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Much appreciated, Brian -- thanks.