Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 01-23-2007, 04:21 AM

SD, NAS, WLAN - experiences

Hi, all. Thought I would share my experience with SD so far, maybe someone will find it useful. I have an iBook G4, my wife has a G3, and I was running both of these wireless through a Linksys router/WLAN hub which also connects my broadband. I bought a SmartDisk 250GB NAS device, and plugged this into the router, then tried various backup programs to see what I could do (I also attached a 250GB USB1 disk to the USB port on the NAS, so it's serving up two disks of 250GB each). I had problems with most of the programs due to the 2GB/4GB limit on file size on network file systems, AFP and so on. Also I think the (lack of) speed of the wireless link was causing problems. At least once I think I managed to corrupt the filesystem on the SmartDisk (ext2) completely and had to reformat. So then I discovered SD. As advertised, it overcomes the file size limits by mounting the sparseimage directly (the images from both of my two machines are about 13GB). I had to wire my G4 into the router to get a 100MB connection, as over the wireless it was too slow. What I did try was making the original sparseimage with the cable in, then try and do a smart update over the WLAN, but this doesn't seem to work either - SD hung up, and in one instance the whole machine hung; in every case the sparseimage got corrupted (I'm not blaming the program, probably trying to smartupdate 13GB over WLAN is not a really great idea). So probably I'll keep the wires plugged in (I'm getting a couple of LAN-over-mains adapters so I can cut out the WLAN to my wife's study). I haven't tried any restores yet but I can mount the images and browse them so I imagine I can get stuff back if I need it. I'm still a little nervous, having managed to corrupt a lot of backups in test scenarios, but I guess I'll just have to live with it for a month or two and see how stable it is now I've found a combination it seems to like.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how best to set this up, I'd be interested. I'll hope to post again with more feedback.

T.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Are you using SMB or AFP to connect to the drive? It's likely got an old version of AFP, so I'd use SMB...

I'm rather surprised that you're hanging with Wireless but working with Wired: Wireless should go slower, of course, but not hang/corrupt. Very strange: perhaps your wireless network isn't terribly reliable?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnau View Post
I had problems with most of the programs due to the 2GB/4GB limit on file size on network file systems, AFP and so on.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how best to set this up, I'd be interested. I'll hope to post again with more feedback.

T.
Hi ahnau

the best NAS hard drive box we have found in the SOHO space as far as support for AFP, large files sizes, speed etc, is the synology range (http://www.synology.com). they support multiple Mac and PC simultaneous IOs and have proper AFP. they run an embedded unix OS. we use the lowend diskstation 101j on LANs with retrospect and SD! backing up to disk images over 60Gb each and the only issue we have had so far is that this model does not restart itself automatically after a power cut.

they have both a web interface and a dedicated app to manage them which runs on both OS X and Win ME or better. we adjust the router at the client site to redirect the port for the web managment so we can manage it remotely.

hth

regards
Peter
Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Have you tried the Infrant ReadyNAS NV series, Peter? We've found those to be exceptionally good under test...