Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2021, 01:42 PM

restoring from sparsebundle to APFS

Greetings,

i've run into an error message in trying to restore my OS from my SuperDuper backups that i could use some advice on. i make all my backups with superduper.

when attempting to use disk utility to restore from a sparsebundle backup of my boot partition, i saw an error message. i didn't get a screenshot, but the error said something to the effect that it can't restore from an HFS+ disk image to an APFS volume. i contacted apple support, but they won't help since my mac is passed the apple care date...

i read the post on the forum "restoring to new APFS from HFS+ sparsebundl". but i didn't see something that would help me there. i didn't see anything else searching the forum that seemed relevant when searching for APFS...

i'd made the sparsebundle backup onto one of my external drives a week ago before having my internal drive swapped out for a new SSD. the original partition that i backed up was on 10.14.6 and the drive was formatted as APFS. the new SSD is also on 10.14.6 and is formatted as APFS. so the original and the new drives had the same format and same OSes.

my question is how to backup and restore with APFS and sparsebundles made with superduper.
do i need to change something in SD when backing up so i can restore to APFS?
do i need to do something different to restore from a sparsebundle to an APFS formatted drive?

i am trying to figure out both my long term approaches and what i need to do to get things working in this instance. in the current instance, i have more options to explore since i moved drives around and still have access to the original drive... but my question here is more about the backup/recovery capabilities if i only have the sparse bundle from superduper.

if there was something about this in the forum before, i didn't find it while searching.

thank you for any suggestions.
jeffery

PS. running superduper 3.3.1 v121
MBPro mid 2012, 2.7GHz Core i7,
new samsung 860 EVO SSD

Last edited by jefferyn; 05-21-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Tags
apfs, hfs+, macos 10.14.6