Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 04-10-2009, 04:17 PM

Question MacBook Air / iMac image problem reboot different wallpaper and screensaver!!??

Hi!

I´m using SuperDuper! for the first time. I made a full backup with SuperDuper! (6 times) from my iMac 3.06 GHz 4GB Mac Os X 10.5.6 on my new 500GB Western Digital external HD. USB 2.0

I tried to reboot my MacBook Air 1gen 1.6 GHz 2GB with the finished bootable image from my iMac and I noticed that there was after I succesfully rebooted from my 500GB WD HD I had a different wallpaper and screensaver on my MacBook Air!!??

I tried also to reboot the image from my WD-HD (iMac Backup) on 2 MacBook Pros, 1 Axitron MoodBook, and another MacBook Air. I just had the different background and screensaver on both MacBook Airs.

Did I lose files with SuperDuper! ? How safe is SuperDuper?

Please help!

THX Mani
Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
The wallpaper and screen saver are "Host Specific" settings in OSX, and since you changed Macs, they're going to be different first time up.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Hi!

What do you mean by ""Host Specific" ? I start from the CLONE Harddrive on several Computers - everything is like on the genuine computer on every other mac. Only my Macbook air starts up and has a different background and screensaver. I even tried second macbook air same different background and screensaver. Just curious WHY??

THX Mani
Old 04-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Because it's got a different MAC address, so the preferences are host specific. They're stored by machine, basically.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:11 PM

THX for your fast reply!

That cannot be true - my macbook pro has also a different mac address and shows the background photo from the genuine harddrive. The program does just not work perfect on the macbook air.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Administrator

This is true in my experience. I don't know why you're seeing different behavior, but perhaps because the MBAir has a different display resolution it's acting a bit differently. But SD! works just fine on the MBAir - I test with one here.

If it works with other Macs, the drive is copied properly...
Old 04-10-2009, 08:00 PM

Did you make a SD! Backup from an iMac etc. and reboot that image on your MacBook Air like I did? Did you get the same wallpaper on both (iMac etc. and the MacBook Air)?

It can´t be the display resolution! I get the right Wallpaper and Screensaver also when I reboot at my Macbook 13´ but just not on my 2 MacBook Airs!!?. The MacBook and the MacBook Air have the same resolution!

Any other ideas?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Yes, I did, and got default wallpaper when booting from a MBAir.

There's nothing "special" about a MacBook Air, in general terms, that would cause the same image to work on a MacBook Pro and "not" on a MacBook Air, other than the fact that it has a different number of network interfaces (that is, a MBAir doesn't have a hardwired ethernet interface).