Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Getting Started Plan - Input Requested

Hello, new to the discussion board and interested in any experienced suggestions, and thank you in advance for any input as I want to do this right the first time. Home network switcher to Mac. Have two Intel iMAC's connected to TC w/ TM and plan to leave that alone as it is currently stable after some recent glitches for some reason, but now corrected. I will connect an external HD to one main Intel iMAC 500GB ,OSX 10.5.5 for file storage, HD clone and bootable copy of OSX Install DVD.

My plan: Will purchase a LaCie External, either 500GB or 750GB haven't decided which yet. Then purchase licensed version of SD to clone system HD for insurance down the road. Will format the LaCie per Mfg instructions for Mac. Then will use DU to partition (1st time for me) external into 3 volumes.......size per volume?

Volume One: OSX Leo Install DVD ..........GB size?
(for quick booting for any repairs on internal HD...if this can be done, instead of dragging out the DVD and booting from that - maybe SD can do?).

Volume Two: Leo Clone of Internal HD ......GB size?
(current used space on 500GB disk is 75GB. Will use SD Smart Update

Volume Three: Saved File Storage (pic's, music, important files)....GB size ?

Any suggestions or recommendations are very much welcomed. I'm mainly planing this for a day of system failure (hope not) but it would save my bacon from the loss of family docs etc. We are not real intensive with the home network but have years of family financials, files, photos, contacts etc. and would want a quick way to restore if needed.

I have read many good things about SD and the excellent customer service & support (which is evident here). I apologize for the length of the post but wanted to give an explanation of where I'm at and where I want to go for clarification.

Oh, can the volumes on the external be encrypted after backups are completed ? for reasons of theft. Yes we have that where we live....that is another story.

Thanks again for any advice.......
Bill
Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
OK. There's no sense formatting before partitioning, because partitioning also formats. Make sure it's GUID partitioned, and your volumes are all "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

I wouldn't bother with a DVD partition: retain the DVD instead, since you'll want to make sure nothing's been changed on it in general.

Main drive volume -- kind of up to you. If it's a 500GB drive, and data tends to 'grow to occupy all available space', I'd make a 500GB volume. Your choice, though.

"Save file storage" -- remember, if it's important, you'd better back it up somewhere, and preferably not on the same drive. Never, ever only have one copy of important data, ever.

And, no - can't really encrypt and maintain a bootable backup, and certainly not after the fact...

Hope that all makes sense!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:31 PM

Thanks Dave, pretty fast response for a Sunday evening

I understand when you do a partition it also formats, I was under the assumption when first starting up the LaCie you are asked to pick a format type (could be wrong though).

Understood on the DVD Install...use the DVD for DU instead of a copy on the external HD.

If the external HD is one volume (no partitions) is it ok to have the bootable internal HD clone and the file storage all on the same single volume?

I should've stated one External FW Disk partitioned into separated volumes one, two and three ...sorry. I thought the bootable clone had to be partitioned by itself.

I hear ya, have copies of data on CD's, Flash Drives etc... would like to consolidate to only a couple sources and have the capability of restoring everything at once instead of loading and updating for hours on end. I have nothing backed up on the internal HD. I'm also running VMware/XP for the sole purpose of Win Quicken

Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
No, it's not OK to have the clone and storage on the same volume. You need to separate backup from data.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:19 AM

That's what I was thinking, was a little confused with the "single volume" thanks for the confirmation.