Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > netTunes > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2005, 03:19 PM

Mac Mini as dedicated iTunes Server

Hi,

I am planning on buying a Mac Mini as a dedicated iTunes server.
Ideally I would like to be able to control iTunes on the Mini remotely from any Mac on my local intranet.

Your application seems to be EXACTLY what I am looking for.

I have installed the demo and read questions on this forum.
Before I go and set it all up, please address the following:

* Will I be able to have multiple Macs running the netTunes client simultaneously ?
* If I have iTunes set to launch as part of the startup of the Mini, is there any need for launchTunes?
* In running the demo, I used my primary computer as the netTunes server and my wife's computer to test the netTunes client. When she was controlling iTunes, she "took over" my computer. From reading another post, this is unavoidable, correct ? (note: this will not be an issue if I have a dedicated iTunes server)
* Same setup as last question. Sometimes she saw my entire desktop, sometimes she only got the iTunes window. Why the difference ? Does she have access to any other applications ?
* Have you tested netTunes with Mac OS X server ?

With the release of the Mini, I suspect others will use it as a dedicated iTunes Server (and perhaps shared network hard drive, server, etc...). Not sure how to better spread the word, but it seems to be something that should get out.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Dr. Malcolm Blueberry