Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-05-2010, 12:21 PM

SuperDuper! could not locate the Destination volume

I use SuperDuper! on a number of machines with great success, but I'm having trouble with one.

It's by far my oldest machine. A 450 MHz PPC G4, running 10.3.9, and I'm using SD 2.1.4 on it.

I have it connected to a LaCie Firewire drive that I have divided into two partitions. I call them LaCie1 and LaCie2. I have SD set up to back up to LaCie1 on weekdays at 2:30am, and to LaCie2 on Saturday.

The backup to LaCie2 works flawlessly, but almost every time I come in in the morning on a weekday to find "| 02:30:04 AM | Error | The automatic copy aborted because SuperDuper! could not locate the Destination volume named LaCie 1." The SD pane on the screen shows a blank in the pulldown menu for the destination. To put it simply, SD couldn't find LaCie1, and it gave up. But it's mounted. The icon is on the desktop. I can click on the icon to open it!

So I sigh, select LaCie1 in the pulldown, and manually command a backup. Works fine.

So what's going on? I can do a manual backup easily, but the scheduled backups don't seem to work on one of the two partitions.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Try deleting and recreating the schedule for that 2nd LaCie and see if that helps.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Yes, that seems to have worked. It copied properly this early Monday morning.

I've tried many times opening up that schedule and reentering the commands, but I don't think I ever actually deleted and recreated the schedule in its entirety. Let's see how well it holds up.

Many thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Let me know, Dan - glad it seems OK at present.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM

Just to follow up and get closure here. My scheduled backups are now working fine. I guess the reminder here is that when something doesn't work, deleting it and recreating it is better than diddling with it!

Thanks again, Dave.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Thumbs down Hmmm. Happened to me, too.

I came to the forum to report a mysterious "could not locate the Destination volume" failure this morning. I'll add on to this thread rather than open a parallel one. Although I could quietly recreate my scheduled copy, perhaps my scenario will yield a useful clue for Dave or others.

Wednesday:
  1. Daily smart update of my boot drive ran at 4:30 am (Hobbes --> Hobbes A).
  2. Mid-day: shutdown my Mac because the electric company shut off our power for 20 minutes. Just to be extra safe, I powered down all external hard drives, including Hobbes A and Neptune 160.
  3. Powered my Mac up 30 minutes later. Powered up some external HDs, but excluded Hobbes A (oversight) and Neptune 160 (intentional - not needed).
Thursday:
  1. Greeted with a "Copy Failed" in the morning because Hobbes A could not be located.
  2. Powered on Hobbes A, which mounted fine. "Everything will be fine tomorrow morning," I thought.
Friday (today):
  1. Greeted again with a "Copy Failed" because Hobbes A could not be located. But it's mounted. Hmmm.
  2. Clicked "Copy Now" to kick off the missed copy. This reported a different "Copy Failed" message: "Copy of Hobbes to Hobbes A failed. SuperDuper! got an error: Can't get current settings."
  3. Quit SuperDuper!
  4. Relaunched SuperDuper!, which first reported "Neptune 160" was missing. Dismissed that message, and SuperDuper! reported "Passport" was missing. Dismissed that second message. (I'd done a manual copy of Neptune 160 to Passport about 2 weeks ago. Passport was removed after that, but Neptune 160 was left mounted until Wednesday.)
  5. Clicked "Copy Now" -- Smart Update copied 5000+ files from Hobbes to Hobbes A without a problem.
  6. Quit SuperDuper!
Let's see what happens tomorrow morning.

-- Ward
Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Try restarting your Mac, and test your schedule by clicking "Copy Now" for each in the Scheduled Copies window (Window > Scheduled Copies).
Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 PM

A-ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Try restarting your Mac, and test your schedule by clicking "Copy Now" for each in the Scheduled Copies window (Window > Scheduled Copies).
I'm tardy with my followup. Restart and Copy Now worked fine later on Friday.

Saturday morning I was greeted with a normal Smart Update of my startup HD clone.

-- Ward