Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-16-2009, 01:59 AM

Cool Network backup: Leopard laptop backup to Tiger server running SD

Super Duper is working flawlessly on backing up two internal drives on older PowerMac G4 (which is maxxed out on Tiger 10.4.11) to dedicated partitions on a third, internal 500 gb drive, running on the PowerMac. The 500gb drive is split into 3 partitions.

The intended purpose of the third partition is to back-up a MacBookPro (which runs Leopard 10.5.8) over the home wireless network.

The question is, how?

I have read the user guide several times through and am stumped.

Questions:

1. Will I need to buy a second license of SuperDuper to run on the MacBookPro, to 'push' the backup to the dedicated partition on the PowerMac's 500gb internal drive?

OR,

2. Can SuperDuper on the PowerMAc be configured to 'pull' a backup from the MacBookPro over the wireless network?

I have tried both arrangements (licensed SD on the PowerMac, demo on the MacBook) and cannot get SD to see BOTH the origin drive and the destination when they are connected, via OS X sharing, over the network.

Is there a limitation on backing up a Leopard drive to a Tiger server? I have read notes that Leopard to Leopard network backups are a no-brainer, but since the user guide doesn't address the Leopard to Tiger combination, I'm concerned that it doesn't work at all.

I read and tried the guidance in your FAQ note How do I update an image? 06-12-2004, but that just compounded my confusion as the guidance differs from the user guide.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Hi again, Dennis. There is no need to send a support email and then separately post the same message here in the forums. Please see my email reply.

Tags
network backup, tiger