Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 06-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Odd Volumes Issue

I am using super duper on a single mac book pro with one external hard drive (which has three partitions on it)

The cloning seems to work fine as the clone is bootable. But I noticed an issue with /volumes. One of the partitions on the external drive is called "Storage". I don't clone to it, only use for it storage. I have done multiple restores and clones using this set up, and just noticed that on my desktop the volume is mounted as "Storage" which is correct. But, when I go to terminal there is a Storage and Storage 1. When I ls Storage the files aren't there. When I ls Storage 1 the files are there.

On my desktop, there is no volume named Storage 1, just Storage. And the Storage on my desktop has the files.

Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
You have a mount point (or folder) in /Volumes named "Storage". This forces "Storage" to mount as "Storage 1". We show that in SD! so you can differentiate between two drives with the same name.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Is there a way to clear this out? I never actually created a Storage and then Storage 1. I am not sure why when the computer reboots it would keep a Storage and then have to load Storage 1
Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Use Finder's "Go To Folder" command to open /Volumes. Once there, you should see the folder -- you can then delete it.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:46 PM

This didn;'t happen until cloning and booting from clone and restoring. Any ideas on how to keep it from happening? Isn't volumes supposed to be cleared when restarted?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Since I don't know how it happened in this particular case, I can't tell you how to keep it from happening.

Basically, you can end up with this kind of problem when a mount point converts to a folder during a file copy. This can happen if the destination volume fails and a retry recreates the path due to the nature of the API calls used.

Alternatively, it's possible that if you mounted this "Storage" volume while SD! was actually in the process of copying the Volumes folder, our evaluated list of files in that folder might be inaccurate, so the mount point would be copied. But you don't seem like the kind of person who would mount and unmount volumes -- or run other applications unnecessarily -- while you're copying.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 PM

You are correct in assuming that I didn't unmount while SD was running. When I use SD I login from my admin account instead of my day-to-day account and run no programs except SD. I am quite careful.

Oh well, at least SD is doing a great job in every other way. I can deal with a minor inconvenience. I love smart update as it is lightening fast. just under $30 is a good price.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator

I thought as much -- note that Volumes is cleared by the system on a restart, but files and folders are not removed -- only mount points.

Thanks for the nice words about SuperDuper - glad you like it.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM

This just happened to me the other day. It was during a scheduled copy overnight, so the only thing I can think of is that my external HD disconnected for a moment, and then reconnected.

I saw it in the morning, SD was spinning and the copy never finished. The external HD is on a UPS, so I'm positive it wasn't the power.

Is there some continuity check you could have in the software, if a volume suddenly disappears, it quits the process rather than creating a duplicate volume?

Last edited by Aelver; 09-29-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

It's something we've looked into but haven't found a satisfactory way of accomplishing.