Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2008, 10:28 AM

SuperDuper Save Me -- What Now?

SuperDuper saved me this week. My MacBook Pro got so screwed up that it wouldn't boot. My nightly smart update on my connected firewire drive saved me. I was able to copy back to my MBP and got up and running again. Wonderful!

Ahh. Not so fast. I got back up, but there's something in my system that's not quite right. I can't get Parallels Desktop to update. Every attempt to open a parallels desktop image file crashes the Finder. Not good. I do the usual disk repair and permissions repair and all is well. So is the report from TechTools Pro 4. Still, something is not right. I figure I need to reinstall OS X.

My thought is a completely clean install on my MBP and use my clone drive to copy my old files and reinstalling everything. What is keeping me from starting is the looming hassle of reinstalling all my old software. I've done a fair job of keeping all the serial numbers and images, etc., but far from perfect.

What I'd like to know are any lessons learned from similar experiences you may have had. Am I taking the right path? Are there other diagnostic tools that would tell me why I can't open a Parallels Image without crashing Finder?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob