Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM

Duplicate startup disks after copy to RAID 0?

This isn't a SuperDuper issue but since this is the type of thing SuperDuper users do I thought someone here may have an answer for me.

First, this is Snow Leopard running on a Mac Pro with all internal drives.

I just migrated my boot drive from a single disk to a two-disk RAID 0 (striped) volume. I used SuperDuper for the copy which all went well. When I made the new volume I did give it the same name as the old so there was a short time where I had two drives with the same name.

The old disk has been physically removed from the system.

Now, when I go into System Preferences and select Startup Disk it all looks good. It shows me my one boot drive which happens to be a striped RAID group. However, when I hold the option key during boot to select which drive to boot from I see two entries, basically named boot1 and boot2. At first I though that was some remnant of having two boot drives online at the same time, but it turns out I can select either one and it boots up fine. Now I'm thinking it's actually showing one entry for each disk in the RAID group. I guess that would make sense since the EFI doesn't know anything about the software RAID.

I've never had a striped boot volume before so I don't know if this is standard behavior or not. Can anyone confirm whether striped boot volumes are presented as multiple boot disks by the EFI when manually selecting which volume to boot from during the boot process?