Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2008, 09:58 AM

Question Support for Sparse Bundles?

The current version of SuperDuper! does not support sparse bundles, only disk images can be set as backup destination. Is an improved version of SuperDuper! under development and is it going to support sparse bundles?

Martin
Old 12-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
There are always new versions of SuperDuper! under development. The current plan is to support sparse bundles when Tiger support is discontinued (we tend to support the "current" OS and one major revision back with any new releases).

Note, though, that you can use sparse bundles with SD! now. Create the bundle yourself and point SD! at the mounted image's volume. We're more than happy to write to it.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks, question answer, problem solved!

Martin
Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 PM

More info about this topic, please

This is interesting and just what I need to know.

I've been using SuperDuper to make a bootable copy of my Mac Mini drive to a FireWire drive, and to backup my big iPhoto and iTunes libraries, that are stored on a couple external hard disks.

I've created several encrypted sparsebundled images on the main external HD, and haven't backup anything to the other HD since then. I was wondering what was the right procedure to backup all of them using SD. On another forum I was directed to a different app (Synk Standard), but I'd prefer to stay with SD if possible

So please let me know if this procedure is correct: I should mount all the sparsebundled images before launching a backup. (If not, what would happen?)

Also, when SuperDuper finishes, the backup copy might have the sparsebundled images mounted, right? Then I manually unmount them to keep them safe.

THEN, when backing up again, what? Should I mount everything on the original AND the backup, in order to my Smart Update to work fine? If not, what would happen? SD would try to copy everything again? If so, maybe in future versions this might be done much easier?

Just a bunch of simple questions in order to be sure what not to do. Thank you in advance.
JJ

Last edited by JoseJ; 01-13-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added information about my system and rephrasing issues.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I'm not quite sure what you do and don't have here. Are you backing up to a bundle? Are you backing up bundles on the main drive (you said "Main External HD", so I don't know what that is)? I'm just not clear what you're dealing with here.

If you're trying to back up encrypted bundles, there's no trick: you just make sure they're ejected, and they'll be backed up along with everything else -- no tricks, nothing complicated.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you. It's great to know it's that simple.

(I should be clearer. Sorry, English is not my native tongue)

Yes, I'm trying to back up encrypted sparsebundles, from one external HD to another. I had read somewhere else I should MOUNT every sparsebundle BEFORE backing up. It's a relief to know directly from the source (here) that it's the opposite: to eject them. That simplifies everything.

Thank you!
JJ
Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Yes. The appropriate 'bands' from inside the bundle will be recopied, along with whatever else has changed on the source.