Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Whatever you do, don't skip copying ACLs. Big mistake.
Thank you so much for your reply and I will certainly heed your advice and not skip copying ACLs. In the past I've tried to reset the ACLs with the boot disk, terminal, ACLr8 and everything and no joy.

My permissions issues since "migrating" to this new MBP "i7" from an older MBP "Dual 2 Core" SD clone has been awful, but due to circumstances, I simply don't have the time to reinstall the entire OS and all settings/apps. It would take weeks of work and can't be done at this point or in the foreseeable future.

Because of dire time constraints I was forced to drag and drop Library items, the entire Applications folder, etc. from the clone dmg image of the old MBP to the new MBP so all the applications settings, registration, etc. were in place and I could get right to work. Believe it or not, it's worked for the most part, but I've been plagued with massive ACL errors and permissions issues that I've "fixed" along the way. I have all kinds of things going on like folders having an "_unknown" name in the "get info" sharing & permissions pane that I can't delete, etc. Also, issues with read only folders that wouldn't work with Dreamweaver until I changed to read/write and applied to all enclosed in the folder.

Some apps like TextSoap, Meerkat don't work as intended and/or save settings properly because of ACL issues and some settings aren't saved in others like Parallels registration, etc.

BUT! I did notice something pretty cool. I ran Disk Utility after booting to a new clone of this MPB i7 on an external USB hard drive and almost all the hundreds of Application ACL errors were gone except:

ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library".
ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences"

At first I thought it was because of the terminal command that I mentioned in my previous post, but I tried the same command on the source (not the clone) and it didn't remove the vast array of Application ACL errors.

So, I'm thinking I should just clone "the clone" back over and then I'll only have those two issues?

It would appear that something that SuperDuper is NOT bringing over in regards to ACLs is helpful. Once again, with my current time constraints I don't even have the time to clone "the clone" back over, but once I do, I'll report back here.

My hopes is that if anyone else is put into this situation they won't have to go through all the grief I have by checking out this thread.