Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Replacement HD and SuperDuper: please help me not make a mistake

Hi --
I searched the forum and did not find the advice I think I need.

I received a hard drive error code when running Apple Hardware Test on my 2.4 GHz Macbook (black plastic body). The computer is still under Applecare and I have an appointment to have it looked at.

If they do indeed change out the hard drive, what's the correct sequence of steps for using my bootable SuperDuper backup?

Do I boot from SuperDuper on the backup, and then select "restore"?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Before you have it looked at, please test your backup to make sure it's what you expect (it should be a "Backup - all files" made with "Smart Update" or "Erase, then copy", written directly to a properly partitioned & formatted drive as explained in the Frequently Asked Questions in the Help menu).

If they replace the drive, it'll likely come with an OS already on it. When you first start up from that drive, it'll ask you if you want to 'copy from another Mac'. Point that at the backup volume and it'll bring in your applications and data.

Otherwise, you can hold down Option during power on and select the backup drive. Once started up from that, run SuperDuper!, select the backup drive as the source, the new drive as the destination (assuming it's properly partitioned & formatted, as it should be), "Restore - all files" and "Smart Update". Run that, then start back up from the internal and you should be all set.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks. I've been faithfully using "Back up all files" via "Smart Update," but I've never needed to attempt a restore. So I will definitely test my externally stored SD backup to make sure it's bootable.

BTW, I'm curious about your comment about a replacement hard drive. If it already has an OS on it, is it used? Refurbed? Makes me wonder, and makes me a little nervous.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
They usually put the standard current OS image on it, as they do with drives in your Mac when you buy it.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Got it, thanks.

And thanks for years of truly excellent customer support.