Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 AM

Smart Update & Disk Warrior?

Attempting to "smart update" a backup of 10.6.1 to ED containing 10.6.0 seemed to take an exorbitant amount of time. I also noted in the cited progress statistics that nearly every file read was being replaced!

Could the fact that I had earlier run Disk Warrior on both volumes have caused this near-wholesale replacement of files?

Anyway... after about 10 minutes of slow progress, I stopped the operation. SD was restarted, and I chose erase and backup anew. This worked as expected... and the back up with 10.6.1 boots with no problem.

Was my experience with Smart Update inherent in the new SD, or was it a result of having run Disk Warrior?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
It's possible that Disk Warrior changed some file/folder attributes that caused the files to miscompare: we're aware of about 4GB of 'recopying' that's done, but not "every file"...
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
It's possible that Disk Warrior changed some file/folder attributes that caused the files to miscompare: we're aware of about 4GB of 'recopying' that's done, but not "every file"...
Well... to be fair, I actually said "nearly every file"! And that may have been a bit of hyperbole. What I noticed is that approximately 80% were being rewritten. However, I stopped the process long before 4GB... so, I don't know if that would have been the extent of it.

Anyway... as long as you're aware that some anomaly exists, I'll wait patiently for any update!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

OK, please let the copy complete and see how much of the data is really copied...
Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
OK, please let the copy complete and see how much of the data is really copied...
If that would provide useful information, I'll start a smart update when I go to bed tonight. What data would you like in the morning?
Old 09-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator

The whole log, send with the "Send to shirt pocket" button. Use "Error during copy" as the issue type.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
The whole log, send with the "Send to shirt pocket" button. Use "Error during copy" as the issue type.
When the log is ready to be sent, I'm confronted with this statement:

You can not submit a support request without a valid e-mail address. Please enter your email address in Address Book or create an e-mail account in Mail and try again.

I have no idea what it expects me to do. I have a valid mail account...
Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

You have Apple Mail configured and you've entered the proper email address in Address Book in your "Me" card?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
You have Apple Mail configured and you've entered the proper email address in Address Book in your "Me" card?
I'm not using Apple Mail. I'm using the Mail program in OS X and it is a "gmail" account via my ISP. I see no "Me" card in address book. My name and address are in my address book... and just for good measure, I've just added my name as it appears in this forum: still no luck!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Apple Mail is the Mail program in OS X.

In your address book, check to see that your card in Address Book is set as your Me card (in the Card menu - "Make This My Card").
Old 09-12-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Apple Mail is the Mail program in OS X.

In your address book, check to see that your card in Address Book is set as your Me card (in the Card menu - "Make This My Card").
How could I have survived this long without having been confronted before with the "Me Card" thingy?

Anyway... the log has now been sent!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Great, thanks. Note: we're in the middle of a power failure here and I'm going to have to shut down Shirt Pocket until it's fixed (almost out of UPS)... will be back!
Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Ah... A little more than a year has passed, and I had completely forgotten about this thread!

However, I am now at the point where I'd like to use SetUp/Migration Assistant to copy a SuperDuper clone of my current machine to a pristine new iMac.

My question goes back to whether there would be any advantage to running DiskWarrior (or TTP5.0.6) on the SD clone before transfer.

Also... Is there a procedure whereby I can make a SuperDuper clone of the new iMac prior to setup?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Administrator

No real advantage I can think of, but it certainly can't hurt anything.

There's no real reason to copy the iMac first, since the DVDs that come with it reinstall everything that comes on it for you...
Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 PM

Smart Updating went south after running Diskwarrior

I ran Diskwarrior on my MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.6.8 - I didn't find any issues, but I replaced the directory anyway.

Right afterwards I attempted to Smart Update a previously made DMG sparse bundle clone of the MacBook Pro and SuperDuper got stuck while attempting to perform the Smart Update.

I've been able to Smart Update the DMG clone without issue until I ran Diskwarrior on the laptop. Come to think of it, I've never run Diskwarrior right before performing a SuperDuper Smart Update before either.

When I tried to stop the process, my Finder crashed and wouldn't restart. Also SuperDuper wouldn't stop and when I quit it it said it would leave the clone in an unknown state. I was finally forced to hold down the power button to shut down the computer.

Lesson learned. I will never run Diskwarrior on my computer right before attempting to Smart Update a SuperDuper clone of it.

I found this thread and figured I would chime in so others become aware of this potential issue. I'm now going to create a new clone since I figure there's a good chance my current clone is damaged.