Shirt Pocket Discussions  
    Home netTunes launchTunes SuperDuper! Buy Now Support Discussions About Shirt Pocket    

Go Back   Shirt Pocket Discussions > SuperDuper! > General

Old 07-13-2007, 09:57 AM

Question Painfully slow backup

Hello,

I'm trying to use SuperDuper! to backup to a USB2 drive from my MacBook Pro. When doing a full backup to the drive (not to an image) SD! reports a copy speed of around 0.5MB/s. I've let it run for quite some time and the speed does not improve. To rule out the speed of the USB disk I tried using Finder to copy some files. Finder copies 4GB in around a minute (giving a speed of about 53MB/s).

Is there some reason SD! would run so much slower? Is there anything I can do to speed this process up?

Thanks,
Chap
Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
Sounds like the drive really isn't running HiSpeed, Chap. Is that the only thing attached to USB?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
Sounds like the drive really isn't running HiSpeed, Chap. Is that the only thing attached to USB?
Thanks for the reply. When I was running this the drive was the only device connected via USB. I'm pretty sure the drive was running HiSpeed because the copy from Finder was at a much, much higher speed than the SD! backup.

I searched the forums for similar posts to try to narrow the problem down further. I was running an erase and copy to the drive itself, not an image, so comparison and compression time should not be an issue. I also closed all programs other than SD!.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Chap
Old 07-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

We're using standard calls to write to the drive; they go as fast as they can. If you're getting super slow speeds, it's because something is causing that -- although it's hard to judge Finder vs. a SD copy because the SD! copy is going to start out copying a zillion teeny files, and you likely streamed something large...
Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian View Post
We're using standard calls to write to the drive; they go as fast as they can. If you're getting super slow speeds, it's because something is causing that -- although it's hard to judge Finder vs. a SD copy because the SD! copy is going to start out copying a zillion teeny files, and you likely streamed something large...

I'm having the same problem. I'm using one of the Lacie USB2 drives (the FA Porsche designed model) and am currently only getting a copy speed of around 2 MB/s.....

I'm also using a macbook pro, and I'm sure that the drive is hispeed because in the system profiler it is listed as:
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

What could be causing this issue? Thanks.

Patso
Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Slow speeds are caused because either the source or destination drives aren't running quickly (for whatever reason), or because of software interference (e.g. AntiVirus).
Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 AM

also, remember to turn off spotlight indexing manually during this time. and add the backup drive to the privacy list just to be extra sure.