View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 04:03 PM

AppleScript (or other way) to automatically log into a user account or just use root?

Hi Dave and Keith,

Do either of you know if it would it be possible to create an AppleScript that would automatically log into an OS X user account (as Keith mentioned)? I Googled but didn't find anything useful. I'm thinking about setting up a separate "Backup" user to ensure that nothing in my main user account is running when I run SD!. I'd like for my system to (in the middle of the night) automatically log into that Backup account (and I think I can use iKey to log out of my normal user account). I would have SD! installed in the Backup account with a backup schedule.

My goal is to fully automate middle-of-night backups to one or more external firewire drives. I think I know how to automate everything except for the logging into the Backup account.

Alternatively I might be able to use the root account, but it seems like it's a bit dangerous to enable the root account.
Might the following plan work?:
- activate the root account
- installed SD in the root account with a schedule
- set the wakeup time in the root through the preferences
- set iKey to log me out of my main account in the middle of the night

If my computer went to sleep at the login screen (with all accounts logged out), would it wakeup and run SD per the settings in the root account?

Thank you!
Erik